Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding Equipment shall be adequately earthed
- - By Nalla (***) Date 02-04-2010 04:23
Dear Friends
One of our Client insisting above to avoid "arc-strike" which may affect or damage valves/equipments.
Can someone shine some light on this subject and related articles on this subject?
How to fulfill the requirement onboard vessel welding work going to start all over the vessel.
Assuming 60 ~ 65 location welding will take place at any one time related Structure and Pipe Renewal works?
Thanks
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-05-2010 13:53
That is an interesting question if you are working aboard a ship that is floating in water.

Usually when the discussion includes the word "earthed" it is referring to the frame of the welding machine being grounded to earth to ensure the circuit breaker will kick-out if there is a short circuit in the welding machine.

On a ship, things can become complicated by stray currents that can cause "increased corrosion" or corrosion like effects due to galvanic action introduced by stray currents whether they are from welding arcs or shorts in the equipment.

I have seen literature on this subject. I wish I could direct you to some reference source, but I cannot remember where I saw it.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding Equipment shall be adequately earthed