Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certified/Approved Fabrication Shops
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2010 16:09 Edited 02-04-2010 16:13
Thought it best to start my own thread on this instead of hijacking the one going on AISC Certification by Carl. 

We are experiencing a problem in our area about Certified Shops.  There is a shop in a neighboring city that got certified and has told all the other shops, city inspectors and city council that they are the only shop that can do structural work in that city since no one else is certified.

I am a member and have had conversations with AISC audit people and others concerning this issue.  All thus far are in agreement that this is a total misrepresentation of the certified shop status and that there are ethics issues involved with the certifying agency.  They have stated that when we get enough facts together and file a formal complaint they will begin an investigation.

The Problem and area where I need suggestions from you guys:

The city involved has amended it's city code regulations to state that only certified shops can bid and fabricate structural jobs in their city.  This has already had a big impact upon several of the shops, including mine, in our area who bid and fabricate jobs in that city.  It is also having an effect upon inspections as they won't let anyone who isn't certified do the work so the work doesn't need any in shop special inspections. 

AISC and other parties of interest have agreed that probably the first place to start is to send letters from fabricators and inspectors to this city administration to inform them of the error of their ways.  The IBC code first addresses and requires special inspections for work done in fabricator shops, Section 1704.2.  It goes on to describe what is required from the Special Inspector when he performs these inspections in Section 1704.2.1. Then on down makes an "exception: Special inspections as required by Section 1704.2 shall not be required where the fabricator is approved in accordance with Section 1704.2.2", which gives info on the shop certification process.  It is obvious to me that the intent was not to 'REQUIRE' fabrication shops to be certified, only to make a distinction on inspection requirements between the two types of shops. 

The city has also, in my opinion, opened themselves up to class action lawsuits by showing preferential treatment to a shop without proper grounds for that treatment.  This also leads into legal problems, in my opinion, by interferring with private contracts by restricting the ability to work without a certification that is not actually required. 

So,  how would you guys recommend proceding?  What types of info would you include in a letter to the city?  Any legal (?) advice or opinions?  Any one run into any thing similar?  Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 02-04-2010 16:52
Requiring certification, if that is what the city is doing, does not constitute restraint of trade, since a capable shop who is not certified can get that certification and continue to do business with the city.  A certification program that no one ever requires is not all that useful.  The way the city went about implementing the requirement might be problematic; it's better to give due warning that such a requirement is coming so that everyone who needs to get the certification can get it.

I'm not too clear on what your competitor is doing wrong.  Are they claiming a requirement exists that doesn't exist?  Are they claiming a certification that they don't have?  Are they claiming they're the only ones certified when they're not the only ones?  If the answer to all those is "no", then what are they doing wrong?  And what is the city's "error of their ways"?  I can't believe for an instant that AISC would agree that it's wrong to require certification; they're all about encouraging that requirement.   So I must be misunderstanding what you're saying.

Hg
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2010 16:57 Edited 02-04-2010 17:01
[quote]Are they claiming they're the only ones certified when they're not the only ones?[/quote]

That is what I thought he was saying.....The other shop is claiming to be the only certified shop in the area. That would be the only way where I could see the AISC getting involved, and then only to show the City's board a list of the certified shops in that area.

I would think this link could help them see/find all of the certified shops in this area:
http://www.aisc.org/find/FindCertifiedCompany.aspx?id=5542
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2010 17:38
First, yes, they are claiming to be the only certified shop in the area.  And, they are the only one. 

Most of the jobs around AZ are too small and the fab shops too small to justify the expense of getting AISC or even AWS Certified Fabricator Shop status.  Too much money for too little benefit.  We would rather just deal with the Special Inspectors being in our shops when needed. 

What they have told the city and the General Contractors in the area, is that because they are the only shop that is certified, they are the only one who is qualified to perform any work that has code requirements on it.  Things as simple as beam seats, posts with beam seats, embeds with anchors, and all the way to any columns and beams for structural support in buildings.  There are many other jobs that are have code requirements as well.  You guys know all the various applications.

That is not the case obviously.  You do not have to be a certified shop to do the work.  You need qualified/certified welders and will have lots of other things to do and document but you do not have to be an AISC Certified Fabrication Facility.  That is not what is promoted by any code and AISC does not advocate telling city officials that your status as a Certified Shop gets you that kind of perferential treatment.  The code does not EXCLUDE others from even participating in the bid and fabrication process.

Basically, I would say that they are claiming this is a requirement to perform work when it is not.  They have convinced the city.  Small town with inspector wanna bes easily persuaded by lawyers who are probably the brother-in-law of the shop owner. 

Don't get me wrong.  I am all for the certification of shops.  On projects of any size it makes many factors so much easier to deal with.  You know right up front what you are getting in a fabricator.  The TPI's job is a lot easier because of the in house QC that has been documented.  But, even the AWS and AISC acknowledge it is not for everyone.  Even shops without that status must have all the right contractors licenses, insurances, bonds, certified welders, paperwork, etc to be considered for any such work.  The certification becomes a trade off for special inspections and does give you special consideration by a customer because he has some documentation as to what you are capable of.  But it does not give you the right to have the city mandate who can participate in jobs. 

Hg,  I'm not sure if I am still coming across clear.  I know what you mean about programs not being worth anything if they aren't required in some way.  But, some programs are worth it because of the benefits that are involved not because they are mandated.  I try to encourage all shops in my area to send at least one person to the CWI seminar even if they don't take the exam.  Very useful info.  They need it so they know more about what they 'claim' to be working to and know more about what inspectors are looking for.  Doesn't mean they all MUST have CWI's on their payroll.  Certified welders (no arguments please about qualified vs certified) are more of a requirement in my book.  Especially for any project concerning public safety. 

But how about certified shops?  They have their place.  I am glad many I have done TPI work in had that status.  But I do not see it as a code requirement to doing residential structural beam seats.  That is what this comes down to.  And, fire escapes on the side of buildings.  I can manage that just fine without being a certified fabricator shop.  Not according to this city.

So, is it 'right' for a city to mandate shops be certified to even bid a job involving code work?  I have been a certified welder since 1978.  I have owned this shop in AZ since 1996.  I am a CWI.  I do work for the public, city, county, state, and federal governments.  I know my limits according to my certifications, licenses, insurance, bonds, skills, and equipment.  Bringing in a special inspector according to IBC has never been an issue.  NOW, it is not even an option for work in this particular city.  Is this 'right'? 

The AISC may be about getting shops certified, spreading knowledge of steel in buildings, and many other aspects of steel construction.  But, their certification in no way grants exclusive rights to any shop for work privileges.  And claiming it does is not proper according to their code of ethics.  That does not say that customers will not consider that as something to be looked at when making their final decision as to who won the contract.  So be it.  It isn't mandatory.

I'm rattling too much, I'm rattled by the situation.  Hope I cleared up where I am at and what is going on.  I do appreciate ALL comments, your posts have always been valuable info Hg. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2010 18:21
[quote]So, is it 'right' for a city to mandate shops be certified to even bid a job involving code work?[/quote]

Not sure whether or not the City or State can mandate only certified shops to bid their projects(I don't know the legal in's and out's)....

however, customers and engineers often write these certification requirements into their job/contract specs, so if the City or State is the customer and/or their engineer is asking for only certified shops to bid...well....they have that right to only except those bids, I think.

I do believe the AISC is trying to help customers/engineers to see the value in their certification program, so it wouldn't surprise me if they help encourage this practice a little bit.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 02-04-2010 18:31 Edited 02-04-2010 19:39
"they are claiming this is a requirement to perform work when it is not"

If the city has made it a requirement, then it is a requirement.  It may not be an IBC requirement, but it is a city requirement.  If they put it in writing as part of their municipal codes, or the contract for the project, etc., it's a requirement.  Nothing prevents the city from imposing additional requirements on top of the IBC if they have local concerns.  Whether those requirements are wise, that's another story, but they're still requirements.

Again, if the city wants to mandate this certification, they can.  DOTs do for bridges.  If you want to build a vehicular bridge in the U.S., you HAVE to have AISC certification.  No way around it.  And that has been the situation for decades (I don't know how long, but it was already well-established by the time I came along 10 years ago).  So mandating a certification is not inherently problematic, from a legal standpoint.  It may be dispreferred, from an industry standpoint, but that is another line of argument (and lobbying) entirely.  (And lobbying to change the requirement is up to you and your non-certified peers, not AISC.  Your competitor may have lobbied to get the requirement in.  Nothing stops you from playing the same game.  The same thing happened with pedestrian bridges; a certified fabricator lobbied to get Major Bridge certification with Fracture Critical Endorsement to be a requirement in for pedestrian bridges in certain states.  Not much to do, legally, but lobby in the other direction.)

If there's no city mandate written into law, specification, or code, and the guy's going around claming an interpretation of the IBC that *implies* only certified shops can participate, that's another story.

And if the kind of work that the city is requiring the cert for isn't the kind of work the cert is supposed to apply to (like my pedestrian bridge example above), that's also another story.

But if the requirement does exist, and he's the only one who meets the requirement, what is he doing wrong?  Or is it that he's telling other cities, who don't have the requirement, that he's still the only one who can do that kind of work?

Hg
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 02-04-2010 18:36
'Nother thought:  Or is the guy not as certified/qualified as he claims to be?

Hg
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2010 19:03
Hg,
Brent could look him up in that link I provided earlier.... ;-)...and see if that company is listed.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-04-2010 17:19
welderbrent
You say " I am a member and have had conversations with AISC audit people "
I take it since you state I am a Member that you are not a certified company, just a member.
You didn't mention the certification required by the city in question, is it AISC or a City Standard?
I know you can be certified by a lot of organizations but to be a vendor of services in Florida DOT Contracts you have to have their reps. come out and do their own audit.
To help in getting pertinent information there are more facts that need to be known.
"The city involved has amended it's city code regulations to state that only certified shops can bid and fabricate structural jobs in their city." What certification are they referring to?
HgTx raised some of these questions.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2010 17:52
Marshall,

Yes, you can be, and I am, a member without being a Certified Shop.  I am an affiliate member, I believe is the class, as an inspector.  My inspection activities are separate from my shop.  I do not do a volume of work that would even be a reasonable base line for becoming a fabricator member nor a certified shop.  I'd be out of business just trying to pay for the membership.  I had a very good discussion with audit personnel.  My understanding was that they concurred with the stand that neither IBC nor any other codes 'Required' shops to be Certified Fabricator Shops in order to do these jobs. 

Even small non certified shops can go through 'audits' by customers wanting assurance that you are capable of handling their job.  I don't have a problem with that.

The city does not specify an exact certification that I know of, just mandates certification to some standard rather it be AISC, AWS, etc. 

Thanks for the questions.  Hope this further directs as to what I am asking.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-04-2010 17:53
You make a good set of points there Marshall, but if I may... I believe Brent is intentionally being ambiguous in some of his descriptions regarding the exact nature of his dilemma...

The reasons may well be that he may not want to set himself up to any potential backlash from this entity where it may result in a slander or defamation of character lawsuit coming back to haunt him later!!!

Well then what can one do in this sort of situation??? First off, do not use actual names of people, places or things... Next, use letters such as in algebraic expressions to describe in detail what the problem is, and refer to the appropriate codes, standards and limitations... Then cite everything that makes your case in writing to be something that the City in question needs to address and clarify for you...

If you have enough empirical evidence as well as documented proof that the entity in question is not abiding by the rules, then you must be absolutely sure that you indeed have the evidence to back it up, and arrange & organize it in such a manner whereby it is easily presented, concise, and to the point of the dispute before you submit it to the appropriate department within the municipality in question... At the same time, you need to inform the AISC and any other entity that has some say in the matter to help in clarifying this matter.

After that is completed, all you can do is to wait, and see how they act and how they respond to your claims... If they, meaning the municipality - rejects your presentation and dispute, then you need to ask if there is an appeals process in order to bring this dispute further up in the chain of command... If there is no further recourse within the municipality's own dispute resolution policy then and only then, do you proceed with legal action... Just my observation. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2010 18:07
Henry, thank you for your orderly guidance.

Yes, I am trying to be careful.  I also know you guys need a certain amount of info to even begin to be of assistance.  I also am aware that there will be varying degrees of agreement and disagreement upon how valuable and even necessary it is to be a certified fabrication shop.  I am willing to answer as many questions as I can to make things as clear as possible.  And, I am willing to take a little heat for not being a certified fabrication shop myself. 

The question boils down to how ligitimate, or fair if you will, is it to claim that you have no competition when the code does not mandate the certification that you spent the money to get.  At least not far ALL fabrication jobs that come along.  So, you then get some city officials to alter their code compliance regulations to eliminate the competition. 

You may want to read my responses to Hg and Marshall as well.  We all seem to be typing at the same time.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-04-2010 18:49
Hi Brent, I have to agree with what HgTX writes with respect to that city being able to mandate whatever Certification they want to...

"If the city has made it a requirement, then it is a requirement.  It may not be an IBC requirement, but it is a city requirement.  If they put it in writing as part of their municipal codes, or the contract for the project, etc., it's a requirement.  Nothing prevents the city from imposing additional requirements on top of the IBC if they have local concerns.  Whether those requirements are wise, that's another story, but they're still requirements.

Again, if the city wants to mandate this certification, they can.  DOTs do for bridges.  If you want to build a vehicular bridge in the U.S., you HAVE to have AISC certification.  No way around it.  And that has been the situation for decades (I don't know how long, but it was already well-established by the time I came along 10 years ago).  So mandating a certification is not inherently problematic, from a legal standpoint.  It may be dispreferred, from an industry standpoint, but that is another line of argument (and lobbying) entirely.  (And lobbying to change the requirement is up to you and your non-certified peers, not AISC.  Your competitor may have lobbied to get the requirement in.  Nothing stops you from playing the same game.  The same thing happened with pedestrian bridges; a certified fabricator lobbied to get the certification to be a requirement in certain states.  Not much to do, legally, but lobby in the other direction.)"

If this is your situation, then Hg hit the nail right on the proverbial head above. ;) If not, then of course you do have due process as a recourse for resolving the matter.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-04-2010 19:58
I can understand the "owner's" concerns with certified versus non-certified shops. I am sure similar arguments were commonplace when the idea of requiring welders to be "certified" and then inspectors to be "certified" was initiated.

The concept of certification is simply to ensure the entity has met some basic requirements. For instance, I have an automobile that needs to be diagnosed and repaired. I have a choice to make. I can go to Johnny-Come-Lately Auto-Shack to have the work done. Johnny has been an upstanding individual in the community for the last forty years. He has built a reputation of providing a good service for a reasonable price. The alternative is to go to Charlie's Executive Auto Shop where the mechanics are licensed by a third party with national recognition.

What are the determining factors in my decision making process?  One of the factors is whether I have been in the community long enough to know who provides the services I need. I will also consider my past experience with other automotive shops. Do I have any direct experience with either of the shops being considered? If I do not have any experience with either shop I might ask a few of my neighbors what shop they would recommend. Ultimately I have to make a choice.

When the work involved becomes more complex and more money is at stake I might consider shops beyond my neighborhood or town. If I am dealing with companies that I have no direct knowledge of I will most likely look to see if they are a nationally recognized brand, a licensed dealership, whether they use certified mechanics, etc. There is no way I have the time to interview each potential mechanic. I look to the "certification" as a means of assessing whether or not the mechanic has a "working knowledge" of automobiles.

The same process can be applied to any business. Looking for someone to perform NDT, look for ASNT certification. Looking for a welding inspector, look for AWS certification. Looking for a fabrication shop, look for either AWS or AISC certification. It is an expedient means of assessing the company's capabilities. Does certification mean that the inspector, the fabricator, or the welder will never screw up the job? Hell no, if certification was a grantee I would be out of work, but it does tell me the individual or the company has been assessed by a third party that has determined some minimum standard has been met. It makes my job of selecting a competent company less time consuming and less painful. Could I have selected someone that is not certified and could they do as good as or even better than the entity that was certified? Absolutely, but how much time and effort would have been expended to find that individual?

So, what is your city doing? They are trying to level the playing field so that only those companies that have met some minimal level of competency can bid on work in your city. It is no different from the defense contractors in the aerospace industries insisting on their vendors pass a NADCAP audit or a state insisting on welders being certified to AWS D1.5 for bridgework. They are establishing a minimum level of competency in order to be eligible to perform work in your city.

Will their actions eliminate some of those companies that elect not to become certified? Absolutely. Will their actions increase the cost of a ton of fabricated steel? Most likely it will for two reasons, the cost of certification will be passed on to the customer and less competition will mean the certified company can charge more for their work. However, the customer, i.e., the city, feels that the added cost will be mitigated by better workmanship, better on-time delivery, and less delays in the project schedule.

Certification is a pain in the ass, but the alternatives are more painful. Let’s face it, certification programs are usually a response to something that went terribly wrong. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-04-2010 20:24
Excellent post!

Hg
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-04-2010 19:30
Brent
Another thing here about AISC and your cause. They care about you as a member as you pay them for nothing.
Here is what they have been doing for 5-6 years now to help those who go to the cost and trouble to get certified. This "No More Waivers" is a kick in the Balls for members like you and non members alike who when asked for a level of certification on a bid submit qualifications and request for waivers to drop this certification requirement in the specifications as the non certified bidder feels this is a discrimination as they feel they can do the work without being certified. This is one big reason why the company I work for is doing the AISC certification again, it was harder and harder to get a waiver from the EOR.
If you do a google search of ( no more waivers ) you will get a link to AISC.
http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=5444
The "No More Waivers!" program is an AISC Certification initiative implemented to help specifiers and AISC Certified companies respond to pressure from contractors and owners to waive quality requirements. Since its inception in 2004, the "No More Waivers!" program goal has been to promptly respond to all attempts to waive quality requirements that are reported to the program. The program currently relies largely on specifiers and AISC Certified firms to identify potential waiver cases and to engage AISC as a partner to counter efforts to waive requirements. Together, through timely action focused on key project decision makers and appropriate information about the value of Certification, we can reduce the number of waivers.
Looking ahead, the long-term goal of the program is to eliminate quality requirement waivers by making AISC Certification a pre-qualification to any bid list.
Again Good Luck
Just my ¢¢'s
Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2010 20:11 Edited 02-04-2010 20:23
Marshall,

Thanks for your thoughts and the mention of 'waivers'.  Been too long since that was something I used.  Forgot about going to the engineer for that.

Can the engineer clear a company to do the work though, when the city has basically mandated the requirement?

Hg,  thank you for that line of thought.  I don't particularly 'like' it as it applies, I don't know that I 'completely agree' with the direction it takes, but I understand what you are saying and it does clear up many points for me.

They most definitely had the cert first, then tried to 'bully' everyone including the city into the 'fact' that no one else could do the work.  Once the city felt 'threatened' for possible liability issues they changed their regulations and made it such that ONLY certified shops could do the work.  Wrong methodology maybe, but may be hard to prove or change.

John, notice I said they are certified.  As even my discussion has drifted to only AISC certifications I guess we know who it is through.  I had that all checked before I began anything else but thanks for including that link.  Others may find it useful.

Edit: true Al, and thank you.  One of the points I didn't clear up, the 'city' is not the customer.  They are mandating this for any job they issue permits for rather residential or commercial for any customer.  No choices.  I don't like the direction this is taking us, but I do understand, and, especially from an inspectors standpoint and one who is greatly concerned about the public safety and the lack of craftsmanship and quality in so much of the work being done today.  What cost even one life saved?  I still don't like much of it.  Like your auto example, there are competent, caring, craftsmen out there just trying to make an honest living.  But they will be forced into the same standards because of one bad apple.

A personal note:  once again we are being regulated out of a truly free enterprise system.  I do understand the need for certain controls, codes, enforcement abilities, etc.  But pretty soon it will be no one but the big boys.  How can we even begin to afford all these programs, certifications, licenses, insurances, bonds, etc, etc, etc.  Somewhere along the line it will all have to collapse.  The costs are getting way too prohibitive.  A large part of the current problem of work slow down is because the cost far outweighs the finished value of the product.  Not always.  But way too often.  Look at housing for a good example.  Go build a custom home.  Spend $2,000,000.  Finished value $1.5 million.  My home and property, appraised at $475,000.  Banks won't touch you for it even with great credit and pretty large down.  Insurance wants to insure it for $600,000 just for the house because that is what it will cost to replace in case of fire at its' current condition.  Can't sell for $350,000 because no one can get a loan and there are too many foreclosures available for far less. (Thankfully we owe even less than that and are not trying to sell.  Just watching the market and keeping our options open.  Things are pretty tight.)    Not that long ago if you 'tried' to get insurance for more than your house appraised at you would get arrested for defrauding the insurance company.  Now they force you to. 

So, back to the subject.  Are all these costs really worth it?  When are all the organizations going to push all of us over the edge with all the mandated requirements?  It is not fun watching people come up with a program and then getting the market regulated in their favour so that you have to participate or go away. 

I probably missed a couple of things that need clarified but I think they wouldn't make much difference at this point. 

Thanks for the input guys.  Even if I don't like the general direction it leads.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2010 20:30
LOL...right now the EPA and DEQ are the thorns in my saddle with air permits and storm water permits and all that jazz...so I get what you mean, I really do. I know there are fabricators and businesses all over our city who don't have to deal with these folks and I don't think it is fair that they ride us so hard when we are doing our level best to comply with all of it. How do these other businesses get by without having to comply with these regulations? I've rubbed elbows with other businesses and ask them about how they deal with some of these permits and they look at me with the deer in the head lights look....obviously they don't have to or haven't have to deal with all of these auditors like we do.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2010 20:40
So true John, 

Supposedly ignorance is no excuse.  But sometimes you wonder how people get away with some things.  Then, those who are trying to comply, all of a sudden, more codes, regs, and another agency to deal with.  Then, oooopppss.  Another certification to be compliant with everything and then you can't get the jobs you want unless you get it.  OOHHH, boy do I get it,  IT'S CALLED ROB FROM THE DOERS TO GIVE TO THE RULE MAKERS. 

Off soapbox.

Really guys,  thanks to all for the polite conversation even though I obviously think this is taking us way toooo far down the regulation pathway.  Your input is appreciated.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-05-2010 05:13
are you sure they are talking about aisc certification. out here on the west coast i've seen alot of drawings that state steel
fabrication to be done in the shop  of an approved fabricator. Thew city of los angeles sells a license for around 850.00
they give one of your employeees a quick verbal test. you are now a city of los angeles type 1 fabricator. i know from past
experience that this  so called approved fabricators license is accepted in other juristictions. I believe that their is a one job exemption
from having this license. if you do a google search on city of los angeles approved fabricators you can obtain more info   Joe
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2010 14:00
Joe,

Thanks for the info.  I would need to check some of that.  I believe they will ALSO accept shops who are pre-approved fabricators with cities such as Las Vegas and San Diego.  But the money and paperwork and audit are all about the same as AISC as I remember.  One of the other shops here in my area was just going through all of Lost Wages, I mean, Las Vegas paperwork and instructions.  It was no cake walk like pay some money and chat with somebody for a while and here's your license.

I will look into it further though. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-05-2010 14:37
I actually helped two shops qualify for the City bof los Angeles license. Its been a few years but what i remember
was  you had to Develope a QC manual. have the basic books AWS D1.1, AISC, ASTM and a material control program
showing how you kept your different grade steels identified.  The City of Los Angeles sends a representative to
youir facility they ask a few questions take your money and your approved. it was a very simple process and i definitely
got the feeling they wanted the money more than your shop being perfect. Good luck  Joe
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-08-2010 20:12
Something was brought to my attention and I believe there is part of this that I really need to clarify yet, especially for the benefit of AISC. 

I have many hats around here.  I run 4 companies.  (I separated them in case I should ever consider selling any part.)

1) My general welding/fab/job shop, which is not AISC certified and is NOT an AISC member.
2) A division of the welding shop specifically for manufacture of Truck Racks, also not AISC.
3) A separate company for doing welding inspections as a TPI, AWS/CWI, getting cleared as a city and county Special Inspector in our area, under which I joined AISC as an Inspector (Affiliate Membership).
4) An equipment/property rental company: trailers, welders, ironworker, building space, storage space.

All divisions and companies have any needed/required certifications, licenses, insurance, bonds, etc.  All my welders are qualified/certified to AWS standards.  My eldest son runs the welding shop.  My wife handles the rental and books for all companies.  I take care of inspections and help in the shop when in town and not busy inspecting.

I joined AISC for all the info available through them on many various topics besides just welding.  There is info on bolting, composites, engineering, their Construction Manual, ASTM standards, and so much more.  As an inspector I wanted access to this information. 

Because my inspections company is separate from my welding company I am able to have a membership this way.  If all I had was the welding shop and/or did the inspections without having separate companies I would have had to join at the Non-Structural Shop classification and rate.  I did not join for my shop.  I did so for the info I wanted to add to my library and have access to for inspections. 

I do not have a problem with memberships as a way for organizations to show how viable they are and give them a monetary base to operate from to help in keeping us informed on items of interest within our profession.  I also buy a lot more materials from them than I 'NEED' to help support the research and publishing of these documents.  Besides,  I like keeping as up to date as I can on topics that may not affect me directly but are part of the building trades. 

Hope this helps remove any confusion as to my AISC membership and opportunities for others to be members. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By lilman2012 Date 03-09-2022 04:51
Hello, can anyone tell me how I can get my metal shop certified for fabrication I live in the L.A county.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-09-2022 16:50
Posting on a 12 year old thread is not really a good practice but lets see if we can be of any help.

Being in LA is a predicament in itself.  You will need to go to the LA Dept of Building Safety I believe.  Use their website first.  At least it used to give lots of good information. 

It will depend upon what type of fabrication you are doing and where to work is going.  LA county and LA City are very similar but slightly different.

Beyond that, getting the shop itself qualified can be a vast and expensive process.  Many larger shops are 'Certified' as PreApproved Fabrication Shops through AISC, the applicable local building authority where the work is going (which can mean they are qualified to several different jurisdictions), and through the building and/or licensing authority where the fabrication is being done. 

You need to start by checking out your local authorities and the areas where your jobs will be going.  While you are at it, look into the AWS Fabrication Shop Certification.  For small shops it can be a good alternative to the more expensive processes of AISC and LA. 

Make sure you have a QC program in place and your welders are properly qualified/certified for the work being performed.  Welding Procedures are a must.  And many more items that will vary with the applicable code, the building authority having jurisdiction, and the customer/engineer on the work. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certified/Approved Fabrication Shops