Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 question
- - By happy1 Date 02-06-2010 18:09
This is my first attempt at writing weld procedures so this may be a stupid question. I have several joints that I have written WPSs on(single V /single bevel /etc). I am welding the root or backing pass with pulse and metal core wire and then later on down the line we are welding the rest of the groove up with solid wire. Because of the two different processes I have to do a PQR on these joints. My question is will one PQR cover several WPSs if they are similar type joints ?
Parent - By malCWI (*) Date 02-07-2010 19:41
happy1- I think if you read D1.1 and check into the Annexes for the example WPS it might help. However you do understand that you need to create a WPS (welding Procedure Specification) first. The WPS is a blue print of how you plan on doing the weld joint, after which you test the blue print (WPS) and create a PQR (Procedure Qualification Record). The PQR is stating you have performed the weld as discribed on the WPS and it meets all of the tested criteria. After the WPS has been written and the PQR proven then you need to do a weldor qualification test. I believe here you can use multiple WPS numbers.
   SO yes you will need to create a WPS for the process prove it works with a PQR both are individual documents, then test the weldor and combine the WPS's.
   It has been awhile since I've last worked with D1.1 and I hope this helps you.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 question