Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / WPS qualification
- - By alstonwelding (*) Date 02-07-2010 14:24
If I am qualifying a PQR / WPS in accordance with ASME Section IX .   It will be done in the 1G using GTAW and the materials will be SA-36 (UNS-K02600) to SA-240 (type 304L). Then I will qualify the welders using Pipe in the 6G position. My intentions are to have the welders were they are qualified for this process on both of these materials.  I would like to know;  will I need to start with qualifying  a WPS for each of these  base metals welded to its self  first  and then referencing  those  two PQR’s ,  before  qualifying a WPS with these base metals welded to each other?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-07-2010 14:41
The base metals listed will overlap for performance qualification. For the process (GTAW) the filler metals are the same F Number (if using a 3xx and not a nickel based filler metal) .  Thus a welder qualified for CS GTAW is qualified for SS Gtaw. The procedure you need top qualifiy will be based upon the production welding you are doing.

The WPS can be and must be qualified using the base metals listed.

Gerald
Parent - - By alstonwelding (*) Date 02-07-2010 14:53
Yes, but I also want the welders to be qualified for welding these materials to each other  (Carbon steel to Stainless steel) if that type of work shows up .
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 02-07-2010 21:05
As pipewelder said the base metals overlap for performance qualification. For welder qualification you can have the welders do their qualification tests on P1 material and that also qualifies them for P8 (304) insofar as base metals are concerned. If the filler metal is P1 through P11, X34, and something else (I'm doing this without the benefit of Section IX at hand) then they are good with using any filler metal in that range. If you are considering using the "standard" 309L filler (P8) for these joints, then welders could be qualified on P1 to P1 using, for example, ER70S-X wire.

As for the WPS's required, you will need to do a CS to SS procedure. The rule is, for assigned materials, that welding a CS to SS coupon allows either base metal to itself and the combination qualified using the qualified filler. So, since my guess is you don't want to use SS filler across the board, you will need to develop two PQR's at a minimum. One for each filler metal used. One for P1 to P1 using ER70S-X filler, and one for CS to SS using your selected filler (assuming it has a P number assigned the info on welder qual above is valid). You would then want to make two WPS's, one for each PQR. In the case of SS to SS you can write a WPS using the CS to SS PQR if you use the same filler.

Depending on diameter/thickness ranges/use you might find it profitable to use SWPS as listed in the AWS Pub catalog. Most of what you are asking about has a SWPS that is National Board accepted, which would make it acceptable under Section VIII, but I'm not clear that they would be acceptable under the 31.X group of piping codes. If you can use them, they are quite a bit cheaper than rolling your own. The price is probably less than what you can get the SS base materials for.
Parent - By alstonwelding (*) Date 02-07-2010 22:10
Thank you'll for your input, it confirms what i was thinking. I will need to qualify 2 WPS's.  I understand how SWPS's work , but i don't want to use one of those.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / WPS qualification