Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PreQualified Connections per AISC 358 and 341
- - By Barry75 Date 02-09-2010 17:58
Does a Prequalified connection per the specifications listed above require a PQR for the welded joint, lets say The RBS Moment frame connection. Or would the weld process fall into the prequalified joints per D1.1 section 3 that do not need a supporting PQR if all the essentials variables are not changed. Second question does table 4.7 #18 under process characteristics, is it referring to a change from SMAW to FCAW, ect. a WPS test must be requalified? or does this not make any since to anyone except me. :^)
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 02-10-2010 01:34
Dont have any manuals or referances here at home, but...
in general I believe the weld joints are pre-qualified meaning the bevel degree and root opening.  Now keep in mind that there are additional requirements of the seismic code that may apply, and if so they require recertification of the welder, but not the WPS.
Those are that there shall be no starts and stops in the center/ web area of the joint.  The welder must pass through the rat hole during welding.  ALso each LAYER shall be completly welded before continuing on, IE the welder can't weld all the passes on one side of the joint until the bevel is filled and then weld the other side, they have to finish each weld/pass/layer before contining.
I'll look into this more tomorrow at work.
Chris
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PreQualified Connections per AISC 358 and 341