Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection of groove welds in T-joint
- - By csmith Date 02-09-2010 20:17
Help for a new-B- According to D1.1 , 5.24.4, states groove welds shall be made with minimum face reinforcement. ( i assume from this first sentence they mean all groove welds).Then the second sentence states "in case of butt joints & corner joints it shall not exceed 1/8".

It does not say anything about T-Joints that are made using full pen welds. Can anyone shed any light on this. I'm a new CWI and still trying to read between the lines in D1.1 where they do not come right out and state the requirement or acceptance criteria for a certain joint. Is this located somewhere in D1.1 and i'm missing it or does the same criteria apply for a T-joint that would apply for a corner joint or butt joint? Or is there just no specific limit in instance of a T-joint?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-09-2010 21:24
I think you should not worry so much about the joint and look at what would best describe the weld itself.
5.24 is Weld profiles its either a Fillet or a Groove weld.
a Fillet weld would be the typ final pass on a T, so i would think that 5.24.1 would be where you  go, unless its ground flush.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-10-2010 01:29
My intrepretation is that no reinforcement shall exceed 1/8".  That applies for groove welds and fillet welds.  Groove welds, does not matter what position it is in, especially Tee joints where the welder gets in the habit of putting a big fillet weld on top of a full pen weld when it should have been filled to at least flush no more than an 1/8" over, but they get used to doing fillet welds, so they put a fillet weld OVER a full pen weld when it wasn't needed.
Chris
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 18:41
The reinforcing fillet is not part of the 1/8 inch limitation depicted in figure 5.4. The limitation applies to butt joints and groove welds on the outside of a corner joint, not the inside corner where a reinforcing fillet is perfectly acceptable unless it interferes with the fit of another member.

The reinforcing fillet provides a better transfer of stresses between two intersecting members. The designer need not specify a fillet weld larger than "X", but that does not mean a fillet weld that measures larger than "X" is rejected. Nor is there cause to reject a reinforcing fillet if one is not specified.

The limits for convexity of a fillet weld is separate from the limits for reinforcement of a butt joint. They have nothing in common and have separate acceptance criteria.

This subject was discussed recently at a committee meeting in Miami. The comments listed above are my understanding of what was discussed by two "officers" of the D1.X committees.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection of groove welds in T-joint