Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / fillet weld qualification test
- - By firstpass (**) Date 02-10-2010 01:54
the welder performance test for fillet.  The size is 5/16 on inch.  does it have to be done in single pass or  can multiple pass be allowed to achieve the 5/16.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-10-2010 10:56
firstpass
Not enough information.
I guess you are talking of a fillet weld break test?
You have to apply weld bead midway and stop and then start welding to end of test.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By firstpass (**) Date 02-11-2010 00:46
it is a standard fillet weld test on 1/2 inch plate.  which requires a stop and start in the middle.  I do not have access to copy of code at this time.  A discussion has come up to whether the deposited bead has to be done in a single pass or is it permitted to be completed in multiple passes.  The bead size is 5/16 .

firstpass
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-11-2010 02:05
firstpass
I don't have the code book in front of me as I am not at work now.
And I don't have the Weld Procedure Specification you are using to take the test.
It should state on it the number of passes.
But my ¢¢'s on this is
If a person can not apply a single pass 5/16" fillet weld they need to practice till they can.
As an Employer who would you hire?
The person that could apply 5/16" fillet weld in one pass and go on to the next weld or the person that has to make a pass and chip and clean the weld bead and then do it all again more than likely actually depositing a bead larger than the 5/16" asked for costing more time and consumables.
Again just my ¢¢'s
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 15:52
D1.5 requires single pass fillets of a certain size for base metals of a certain thickness unless low hydrogen requirements are met. The table, Table 2.1 found in AWS D1.5-2008 requires a minimum fillet size of 5/16 inch for materials thicker than 3/4 inch.

D1.1 has similar requirements as found in Table 5.8 of D1.1-2000 (its sitting here on top of my desk). There is a footnote that stipulates that the single pass requirement does not apply if low hydrogen practices are used.

Since I am signing the welder's test record, I can take some latitude in how I test the welder. It is my humble opinion that it makes little sense to test a welder using a procedure that does not demonstrate the welder's ability to meet the requirements of the code as a production welder. In this case it makes little sense to test a welder using 3/32 inch diameter E7018 if he will most likely be using 1/8 inch and 5/32 inch diameter electrodes on the job and he will be expected to deposit 5/16 inch fillet welds on thick plate. Likewise, it makes little sense to test a welder with 0.045 inch diameter FCAW electrode if he will be using 5/64 inch or larger when he works as a production welder. 

I try to test the welders using the conditions he is most likely to encounter in production. That may or may not be possible in all cases, but in my opinion it make little to give a test that allows a welder with marginal skills to pass only to see him fail when he takes on a production job. If he will be taking a position in a steel fab shop where he is expected to deposit 5/16 inch fillets as single pass welds as required by the structural code, then the test should require him to demonstrate the skills needed to do so. If he is taking on a position in a sheet metal shop where he will be making small welds on thin materials, the performance test should reflect the requirements of the applicable welding standard. The ability to deposit a 5/16 inch single pass fillet is not going to demonstrate the welder's ability to weld on thin materials.

I am straying from the original question, but I believe the question deserves more than a single sentence answer. There has to be a thought process behind the test given and the procedure that will be followed by the welder taking the test. The person administering the test should have a working knowledge of the welding standard that applies and he should take into account any technique requirements or limitations imposed by the construction code or code sections when developing the procedure used for performance qualification.

The bottom line is that for structural welders, I require the 5/16 inch fillet weld be deposited in a single pass.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / fillet weld qualification test