Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Part B
- - By wiskybuck (*) Date 02-10-2010 03:43
March 5th is my big day for my Part B retest. I have read thru the VIW and VIT books, taken the exams and have done very well. It just seems that there is no way of practicing out of a book what you will find on a test.....meaning weld samples. Only scored a 63% last time....I may have taken it for granted.....lot of people said it was the easiest part(not for me). Areas of improvement needed most are Nondestructive Tests 2/6 and Procedures and Welder Qualifications 5/10. Any help or tips would be great!

I seem to remember a while back about a website that provided help.....something like $25 per section? IDK? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-10-2010 12:32
The site was http://weld-procedure.com/ and the persons name is Rick Gaffney.

The "worth" is hard to decide. More of an individual thing.

As far as the areas to work on, make sure you are reading the notes. UNderstanding and applying the acceptance criteria is a big part. Read the footnotes. Don't make any assumptions.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 14:38 Edited 02-10-2010 14:42
I have to agree with Gerald.

Some things to consider:

Many people get the wrong answer because they do not bother reading the footnotes when they apply. Remember how footnotes work, if the footnote is in the title box it is global and applies to everything. If the footnote is in the title box of a column, it applies to everything in the column (regional). If the footnote is listed after an entry, e.g. A588 (1), the footnote only applies to that specific base metal.

The other thing I often see and hear is the individual fails to read all the clauses that applicable to the subject or question. I see this happen when evaluating the samples for acceptance. Read the actual acceptance criteria provided. Do not base acceptance or rejection on what you do in your day-to-day job. Everyone is very aware that the samples would be rejected if the weld was per AWS D1.1 or ASME Section VIII (well maybe Section VIII is a bad example :)), base the decision on what is written in the Part B standard for acceptance criteria.

This examination is a reading comprehension test. Can you read the question and determine what is germane to the question? Can you read the answers or can you pull the applicable information out of a table? If you have poor reading comprehension, this will be a very difficult test to pass. Inspection is much more than looking at a weld and deciding whether the inspector "likes" it or does not "like" it. The decision has to be based on what the applicable welding standard or code requires.

Good luck on the exam.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 14:48
Al, I have made an observation and my comments below are based on a few of my friends who have taken the exam and didn't pass.....

I noticed that these particular friends tend to be over analytical when reading the question...

ie, reading more into the question, than the question is asking.

Read the question and base your answer on what the acceptance criteria says....forget what you know about weld inspection and read the criteria. Many times the question writer will make sure you read the footnotes that apply, to get to the correct answer.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-10-2010 15:11
Wisky,  I agree completely with the previous posts.

Many of the questions have more than one right answer, BUT ONLY ONE ANSWER IS THE BEST AND CORRECT ONE.  Make sure you read through ALL the answers before you mark the first one that sounded right.

But don't be too analytical as John said.  You'll go nuts.

And as they commented, take NOTE of ALL NOTES.  Forget anything you have used before and may have committed to memory.  Apply everything per the Part B booklet.  It is their way of making sure you can take ANY code book and inspect to it without mistaking information from another code.

Now that you have taken it before, don't let it get to you, don't take it too lightly.  Relax, breathe, clear your mind, get plenty of rest, and do your best.

We'll be waiting to hear how you do.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 02-12-2010 02:05
I don't remember anything in the VIW or WIT which would be ANY help with the part B exam...  when I took mine, it had its own code book.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-12-2010 04:43 Edited 02-12-2010 04:45
Hello John;

I agree with your comment about over analyzing the questions. Some people add to the question. I had one fellow respond that the largest single pass fillet weld using SMAW made in the vertical position was 1/4 inch.

I asked him how he came up with that answer instead of the expected answer of 1/2 inch.

His response was that if he was welding on weathering steel he was limited to 1/4 inch by clause 3.7.3.2.

I said there is nothing in the question that indicated weathering steel was being welded.

His response was, “but if I did weld weathering steel I would be limited to 1/4 inch.

I said that was only if the weathering characteristics were to be retained and an electrode with matching weathering characteristics was not used.

"But if I didn't select the proper electrode I would be limited to 5/16 inch fillet welds in the vertical position." He said.

"Those conditions are not part of the question. You are adding conditions that have nothing to do with the question asked." I told him.

He insisted he was right, so I told him good luck. See you next year.

Read the question as it is written. Do not add conditions or add "what if" situations to the questions when answering them.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-12-2010 05:37
Ahhh,
The infamous Part B!
The conquerer of those who have come to master the BEAST (CWI exam).
I do believe, all the folks I know personally over the years who have failed the exam have fallen prey to Part B.
My secret to success for Part B would be to clear your mind of all that is conventional and accept Part B for what it is. PART B! It is an entity all of it's own. I think too much real world experience clouds the Test Takers' objectivity into wanting it to be stricter than it is. AND, it IS strict in it's own bizarre way, if that makes any sense. There is also some nomenclature snuck in there that separates those who truly know Welding Teminology and applying those definitions into this mock scenario. It is in my opinion an excellent addition to the Exam. When I first took the CWI in the mid '80s, the 3 part multiple guess format got pretty boring by the 3rd session. Part B is a nice break. Especially if it is the 2nd or 3rd installment.
Now, and I quote "well maybe Section VIII is a bad example" (ASME = always, sometimes, maybe, except) that is funny stuff, but I found API 1104 with it's "give the owner anything it wants" clauses to be a really tough nut to crack on exam day. The only reason I've used 1104 (3 times) is because I paid for my test and that is the Cheapest code to purchase!
The good news is, that just going in for Part B should give you the opportunity to focus on this one segment. Not all stressed out with from the other 2. They are done and over with!

"Free your mind young Skywalker, trust your feelings".

As I always say, "If it was easy, my Grandmother could've crocheted two of 'em while watching a re-run of Golden Girls."

Hope this helps, and best of luck to ya.
Parent - By Stephen32 (*) Date 02-12-2010 15:51
As the saying goes: When in Rome, Do as the Romans!
- By wiskybuck (*) Date 02-13-2010 01:35
Thanks for all the words of advice. I'm sure it will be a big help concentrating on only one exam. It was a bit overwhelming taking all three last July, and I may have put a lot of effort on the D1.1 part.
I may have gotten burned by the notes.....although I thought I read them clearly during the code exam.
I do know my brain was like mush going in and slept about 3-4 hours the night before.....I'll make sure that doesnt happen again.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Part B