Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cross contamination?
- - By fullmetal inspector (*) Date 02-10-2010 16:30 Edited 02-10-2010 19:40
Greetings,
my shop is mainly deals in non ferrous architectural work. But recently we have had alot of carbon come through are shop. i have been keeping a very close eye on cross contamination as far as grinding abrasives and work surfaces go. Our president is very worried about all the carbon dust in our shop now, he does'nt want it contaminating our stainless stock supply among many other things. (So my queston to the forum is)  Is this a valid concern ? should we start to worry about this ? Or is a good clean inbetween jobs suficeint enough?
Regards FullmetalInspector*
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-10-2010 17:57
It really depends on your operational setup, the grade(s) of stainless steels being welded, and the requirements for your welds.  Yes, you want to prevent impurities to the extent possible.  I would stop short of complete segregation, unless you're welding to a specification which requires it.  In my experience, that's mostly aerospace and nuclear power plant work.  On the other hand, if you're grinding a lot of steel and you're welding stainless in the same areas, it may well pay off to separate those operations.  If you're having problems with weld quality, cross contamination is one area you might look at for a cause.  And for the rest of my 2 cents, a good cleanup is never a bad idea. :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 18:30
Cross contamination between carbon steel and stainless steel, aluminum, or other families of nonferrous alloys can be a big problem if there is a concern with staining, corrosion, or cracking.

Stainless steel that has small particles of carbon steel (not carbon) on the surface will stain when they get wet. The carbon steel will rust and leave a stain that can be objectionable to the customer. The problem can be made worse if the stainless is in the form of pipe or tube and it is contaminated on the inside diameter or the outside diameter and subjected to a wet environment where there is an electrolyte containing chloride ions (seawater, brackish water, certain acids, etc.). The electrolyte will set the stage for galvanic action that can result in pitting, perforations, intergranular stress corrosion, and intergranular stress corrosion cracking. Again, the particulars of the environment and other issues have to be considered.

Copper contamination can also cause cracking problems. Copper can come from contact tips when using either FCAW or GMAW. Copper contamination can come from dragging a piece of copper pipe or tubing across a piece of carbon steel or stainless steel plate or pipe. Copper is not a preferred playmate with a host of base metals including aluminum, carbon or low alloy steels, and stainless steels to name a few.

I typically recommend that the base metals not be stored in the same storage rack. I recommend the steel racks have a non-metallic barrier between the base metals and the rack arms assuming the rack is constructed of carbon steel.

Grinding disks, flapper wheels, etc. should limited to use on one type of base metal. In other words a grinding disk that has been used on carbon steel should never be used on stainless steel or aluminum, etc.

Wire brushes used carbon steel should not be used on stainless or aluminum. Wire brushes used on anything other than carbon steel and low alloy steels should have stainless steel bristles and be used on one alloy family and not on other dissimilar alloy groups.

Stainless steel or aluminum components should be covered and protected if grinding is being performed on carbon steel in the same area. I prefer to see carbon steel separated from those work areas where stainless and aluminum are being worked on.

When working with alloys of titanium or zirconium, the issues mentioned become more problematic. Those materials should be welded in a separate room or shop from those working on carbon, low alloy, stainless steels, etc.

Does your boss have a right to be concerned? I would say, "Yes he does."

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-11-2010 00:02
Anything you can do within reason of keeping any machining/grinding waste away from your stored non-ferrous material as well as removing it from the work areas will be to your benefit.  Cover your stored material with tarps or plastic sheet.  Give the work areas a thourough brush down, sweep and vacuum before reintroducing your higher alloy work back into the facility.  With just some good cleaning procedures you should be fine.  However remember any abrasive procedures will require a change out of tooling before restarting on any stainless work.  As far as end mills and cutting tools they should be carefully cleaned by hand as well before reuse.  Powerful magnets make a good "check over" tool where a lot of grinding is used.   Should not be a problem for you, just remove the contact points from your other materials before work, and you should be able to meet any criteria needed.

Best regards
Tommy
- By fullmetal inspector (*) Date 02-11-2010 16:24
Thanks everybody for the useful input

Regards, FullmetalInspector*
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cross contamination?