Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Charpy impact test
- - By weldr61 (*) Date 02-10-2010 19:19
I am looking for some help on a charpy v-notch impact test for the qualification of a weld procedure using a 516 grade 70 base material. My question is where are the specimens removed from in relationship to the weld within the welded test coupon and how many specimens are needed? This testing is required by ASME Sec. VIII, Div 1 I am not familiar with this code area which requires this supplementary testing. Usually work more in AWS D1.1

Thanks, C. Miller
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-10-2010 20:16 Edited 02-12-2010 00:55
Doesn't ASME IX state where are the specimens removed from and how many are they? I don't have ASME IX at hand but I'd say it shows that information.
Another standard (and for this I'm sure because I've used it recently) that shows the information is API 1104.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 20:59
The first question I would ask is, "Do you have a copy of ASME Section IX and the applicable construction code?"

If the response is no, then I suggest you purchase the applicable sections to find the answer to your situation.

I'm not trying to be a smart asx, but uou can't do the work without the appropriate codes and standards.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 21:14
Div 1 is the queen mother of impact testing. It is a rather complicated process. You need a copy of it. Read it carefully. Start in UG-84.
Since you are using carbon steel you then go to UCS-66 and UCS-67. You need to know your MDMT. You need to determine if HAZ testing is required. You need to base testing upon material thickness.
Even with that, how many weld processes?
Each process will have to be represented.
You will need a set of 3  1/16" from either the ID of the pipe or the bottom of the plate. Since its 516 it will be the bottom of the plate.
Make sure your first process uses enough fill to be represented in the impact specimen.
My opinion is not unlike Al's, my thought is, if you are asking this question you are not ready for Div 1. You might think seriously about getting some consulting help.
Having said that, if you are using Div 1 you have an AI. I hope. Seek his advice.
Parent - - By weldr61 (*) Date 02-11-2010 00:11
Charpy impact testing for our customers work is addressed in ASME VIII, Div. 1, UG-84. The minimum design temperature unless otherwise specified is 32F. There is only one welding process used (FCAW). The reasoning behind the question is that I have no access to Section VIII for reference.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 15:06
You need to get a copy of the applicable specification if you are going to be testing or fabricating to those requirements. If the job isn't worth the cost of the codes that apply, don't take the job.

Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 17:38
I would reinforce Al's point. If your doing impacts to Section VIII. Get one.
If your doing anything to any code, get one.
Parent - - By 464238 (**) Date 02-11-2010 23:30
like everybody has mentioned buy the ASME Section VIII. How are you trying to qualify a procedure to weld to ASME Section VIII div.1? does your company have a U Stamp?

Regards,
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-12-2010 13:24
Really, that is a good question. If you are doing Div 1 you have to have a U Stamp. If you have a U Stamp you have to have an AI. If you have an AI you have to have a copy of Div 1. So, what's wrong with this picture?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-12-2010 17:06
They may have a job that calls out Section VIII for design, fabrication, and inspection, but a U stamp is not required because it is going to a "non-jurisdiction" locality or to another country where ASME is not required.

We used to build code and noncode vessels side by side. The AI would check the stamped vessels and ignore the unstamped vessels. The only difference was the nameplate. Both vessels used the same material, same design, same drawings, same welders, and same inspection criteria. The job traveler was the only way to distinguish between the two vessels being built.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-12-2010 19:11
Al,
Code work right along non code work is pretty common. but it sounds like what you're saying is that Section VIII is simply an extension of the customer spec. I don't know that I have a problem with this except that I would not claim in any way that I am complying with ASME Section VIII. I would not have it on my Engineering documents or shop drawings or travelers, or inspection reports, and certainly not any Data Reports if generated, etc., because in my opinion this constitutes fraud.
ASME codes do not allow cherry picking requirements. If you don't comply with all of it you are essentially non code altogether. Invoking the AI has nothing to do with jurisdictional requirements.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-12-2010 20:15
In many case it is an "extension" of the customer's specifications. They use ASME as the basis of material selection, design, fabrication, and inspection. However, they are not asking for it to be "code stamped" and the nameplate would not reference ASME.

You can't cherry pick the code if the vessel or the system has to meet code by contract or if it is required by the building code. If it is not required to meet code, the customer can pretty much dictate the terms.

Not all locations are required by law to meet ASME or National Board requirements. In those cases if their insurance carrier doesn't requires complience to ASME, there is nothing to force it upon the end user. A non-code vessel can have a nameplate with the design pressure and design temperature and any additional information requested by the customer as long as it doesn't say it is an "ASME Code Vessel".

Personally, I feel more comfortable when a third party is involved in the process. Although the AI represents the insurance company (most of the time), he is at least there to ensure the minimum requirements of the applicable ASME code section are met before he allows the vessel's nameplate to be stamped.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-13-2010 18:53
"The job traveler was the only way to distinguish between the two vessels being built."

And the price I'll wager.  :)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-13-2010 22:26
Valid point.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Charpy impact test