Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS A5.7 Certified Welding Filler Material Type ERCuNi
- - By swephnsyimf (*) Date 02-10-2010 23:44
Need to ascertain whether welding filler material type ERCuNi (FM 67) that has been certified as meeting AWS A5.7, based on its compliance with the specified chemistry of this particular AWS A5.7 can also be regarded to have the requisite specified mechanical properties of Table A-2 therein (i.e. specified minimum tensile strength and hardness), as well. This is necessary for purposes of establishing the suitability of AWS certified welding filler material type ERCuNi (FM 67) for use in welding applications for one of the U.S. Navy's surface ship to the Navy standards.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 21:50
You can compare the chemistry listed in the AWS filler metal specification (A5.7) with the chemistry listed in the appropriate military filler metal specification (MIL-E-21562 should be the correct one). That being said, even if the chemistries match, the AWS filler metals have to be ordered to Schedule J  (certification testing by the manufacturer). That means it isn't stocked by your local welding supplier. You usually order it directly from the manufacturer. Review the requirements of NAVSEA S9074-AR-GIB-010/278 Table II, footnote 6 and paragraph 5.3.

Best regards - Al
- - By swephnsyimf (*) Date 02-12-2010 17:17
Al,

Mahalo for your reply. We have already reviewed the chemistry of the AWS A5.7 certified, welding filler material against that specified in the applicable military specification (i.e. MIL-E-21562E). It has been confirmed and verified to be similar in its chemistry, but merely was looking for info regarding the resultant mechanical properties for material with this specified chemistry.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-12-2010 17:26
Here ya go man.  Other manufactures of this alloyed rod should be real close.   http://www.midalloy.com/html/pdf/nickel/TB%20ERCuNi%20Bare%20Wire.pdf
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-13-2010 05:44
I checked the miliary filler metal specification, MIL-E-21562, and AWS A5.7.  MIL-EN67/MIL-ER67 and ERCuNi appear to be very similar with respect to tensile strength.

I'm not sure what you are attempting to do. If you are tryng to obtain approval to use the AWS filler metal, you will have to demonstrate the filler metal/base metal combination works, i.e., qualify the WPS by testing to NAVSEA TP248 and have the necessary material certifications for the electrodes that will be used.

If you are using filler metal from your current stock or that of your supplier, you can do the requisite testing by qualifying the WPS per TP248 and the filler metal in accordance with MIL-E-21562 (MIL-EN67 or MIL-ER67). The catch is all the filler metal used for the qualification and production will have to come from the same heat number.

In any event, it will take considerable time and expense to qualify the WPS and the filler metal.

We could be more helpful if we better understood what you are trying to do.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS A5.7 Certified Welding Filler Material Type ERCuNi