Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certified welding inspector starting pay
- - By james destefano Date 02-11-2010 00:23
I have 7 years experience in the glazing field. architectural metal and glass installation of storefronts curtain wall  doors and welding. Also another 8 years experience in iron workers ornamental. Work duties the same as the glazing field but additional experience doing maintenance in the steel mills and refineries. I'm looking at becoming a cwi certified welding inspector. What is the starting pay for this field. I hold certs. in welding 1 inch smaw and flux core.
the only information I can find is for level 2 cwi's that also have other certifications as radiographic interpreter's with to or three other certs. and a minimum of 5 years experience. I'm trying to find starting pay and what jobs are avaliable
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-11-2010 01:33
james destefano
As you mentioned most looking for inspectors want the most bang for their buck so the NDT qualifications are where you will find the $$.
Your best bet is to find a company that does third Party Inspections and do your time helping those that have the qualifications. After a bit of experience and if the company likes your grit they will usually pay for your continued education, maybe requiring a contract to insure their investment. Highways and Bridges are going to keep busy for a while.
My ΒΆΒΆ's good Welders will make more than a Weld Inspector without experience and NDT, not saying that the job and the money aren't out there, just that times are tough and people are cutting back.
Trying to get into Quality Control with a fabricator requires a well rounded knowledge base, generally more than whether a weld is in conformance or not.
Building Codes, Government and State DOT Specifications, and on and on.
I don't want to discourage you but there is no easy ride and no set answer.
Keep learning and don't get discouraged.
If you should find someone needing a CWI's credentials to fulfill a requirement of a Specification or Qualification you might be able to get in for 15-20 dollars an hour. But if you had UT say, you could expect more like 30$ and up depending on you abilities. Like everything it all depends on the supply and demand thingy.
Good Luck
Marshall
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certified welding inspector starting pay