Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Radiographic interpretation (20 Q&A)
- - By travishttn (*) Date 02-11-2010 12:20
I need anyone that can check my answers and if its wrong explain.

1. Which of the following is an advantage of using an x-ray machine rather than a gamma ray source? MY ANSWER IS: D
A. Greater penetrating power
b.Greater portability
c.Radiographs will have greater latitude
d.Ability to control the radiation energy and the intensity
e.Can use shorter SFD's because of smaller target (source)size

2. As photons interact with the atomic structure of the specimen, ionization takes place and as a result of the Compton Effect, secondary photons are generated that are referred to as: MY ANSWER IS: D
a. Internal scatter
b. Soft radiation
c. Side scatter
d. Back scatter
e. Bremsstrahlung

3. X-rays are generated in a x-ray tube when electrons traveling at high velocity collide with the atoms of the target material. Most of the electrons energy is converted to: MY ANSWER IS EITHER HEAT OR VISIBLE LIGHT
a. Continuous x-rays
b. Characteristic x-rays
c. Heat
d. Long wavelength x-rays
e. Visible Light

4. In order to increase the intensity of x-radiation: MY ANSWER I THINK ITS C.
a. The tube current should be increased
b. The tube current should be decreased
c. The test specimen should be moved further from the film
d. A lower kilovoltage should be applied to the tube
e. The large focal spot should be used

5. Radiation energy is usually expressed in terms of: MY ANSWER IS A
a. Kev or Mev
b. Curies per gram
c. Roentgens per hour
d. Milliroentgens per hour
e. Both C & D

6. What is the primary difference between x-rays and gamma rays of the same energy? MY ANSWER IS D
a. Wavelength
b. Frequency
c. Velocity
d. Origin
e. Inensity

7. When all of a photon's energy is absorbed as it collides with an electron in an atom in the test specimen, the ionization process involved is called: MY ANSWER IS C
a. Photoelectric Effect
b. Compton Effect
c. Pair Production
d. Total Absorption
e. Partial Absorption

8. The speed at which X and gamma rays travel is: MY ANSWER IS A
a. The speed of light
b. The speed of sound
c. It varies with the wavelength
d. Is dependent upon the type of the source
e. Is dependent upon the energy level

9. What is the primary difference between x-rays of different energies? MY ANSWER IS E.
a. Wavelength
b. Frequency
c. Velocity
d. Origin
e. Intensity

10. X-rays and gamma rays have one thing in common; they are both forms of: MY ANSWER IS B.
a. Particulate radiation
b. Electromagnetic radiation
c. Microwave radiation
d. Cosmic radiation
e. None of the above

11. which items that apply to x or gamma radiation: MY ANSWER IS A,B,C,D,F,H
a. is a particle
b. ionizes matter
c. harmful
d. electromagnetic
e. has odor
f. has mass
g. speed of light
h. high frequency
i. long wavelength
J. is visible

12. What governs the penetrating power of an x-ray beam? MY ANSWER IS A.
a. Kilovoltage
b. time
c. activity
d. milliamperage
e. focal spot size

13. The shorter the wavelength of x or gamma rays: (Choose Two): MY ANSWER IS A & C
a. The higher their energy
b. The faster they travel
c. The greater their penetration power
d. the slower they travel
e. The lower their energy

14. When a photon collision interacts with the atoms in the test specimen and results in the emission of a secondary photon of lower energy level the ionization process involved is called: MY ANSWER IS C
a. photoelectric effect
b. compton effect
c. pair production
d. total absorption
e. partial absorption

15. As the kilovoltage applied to the x-ray tube is lowered: MY ANSWER IS D
a. xrays of longer wavelength and more penetrating power are produced
b.xrays of shorter wavelength and more penetrating power are produced
c.xrays of shorter wavelength and less penetrating power are produced
d.xrays of longer wavelength and less penetrating power are produced
e. none of the above are correct

16. The half-life of an isotope is: MY ANSWER IS D
a. referred to as LD/50
b. its average life after passing through a half-value layer
c. half of its total life
d. the time required for the original activity to decrease to one-half
e. the time required for the source to be reduced to one-half its original size

17. The intensity of x-radiation is usually measured in: MY ANSWER A OR C
a. Roentgens
b. Ergs
c. R/Hr or mR/Hr
d. H&D units
e. Curies

18. If it was necessary to radiograph a 7" thick steel product, which of the following radiation sources would most likely be used? MY ANSWER IS A
a. cobalt-60
b. 300 Kv x-rays
c. Iridium-192
d. 600 Kv x-rays
e. Radium

19. The Curie is a measure of the ________ of a radioactive source. MY ANSWER IS B
a. size
b. activity
c. weight
d. specific weight
e. protons and neutrons

20. When a photon collides with an electron in an atom in the test specimen, and the photon is converted into an electron and a positron, the ionization process involved is called: MY ANSWER IS A
a. photoelectric effect
b. comption effect
c. pair production
d. total absorption
e. partial absorption
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 15:20
The answers to these questions should be found in your study materials. Read them

The ASNT NDT Handbook on Radiography will also prove to be helpful.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By travishttn (*) Date 02-12-2010 04:42
Ok the class I am taking don't have books..the instructor is handing out copies of the lecture and the quizzes. We were suppose to have gotten books but we don't..that is why I am asking for help for the time being til I get the book.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-12-2010 05:32
Hi travishttn,

Here is a "Virtual cyber book/encyclopedia" on Non-Destructive Testing... This will serve as a substitute for a reference book:

http://www.ndt-ed.org/index_flash.htm

Here's more:

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/communitycollege.htm

Here are a variety of NDT links:

http://www.nde.swri.edu:8080/links/links_t.html

And these links also:

http://www.ndt.org/link.asp?ObjectID=3683

Here's another virtual cyber-encyclopedia:

http://www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php

Now let me get this straight... You said that the instructor is handing out copies of the lecture and the quizzes??? Are the quizzes being handed out at the same time the handouts also???

in any event, these internet resources should be all you need to study if that is what you're really doing...

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By travishttn (*) Date 02-12-2010 08:56
this is what was given to us to go by www.ndt-ed.org but yes its a reference book not the kind of information it would have in the radiography book which is what I need to have so I need that handbook most have told me to go to asnt website to get that radiography handbook.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-12-2010 18:21
Well then let me ask you this... Have you checked your local public or school library yet??? have you even bothered to really check this and the other web links I posted up for you to use, or are you just looking for us to give you the answers to these questions??? I say this because, I know for a fact that if I were in your position, I would have secured a book already!!! In fact, I probably would have found a few online!!! Yeah!!! That's right!!! online!!! I also would have found a few in used book stores which are all over the place... Including way out in the boondocks for cryin out loud!!!

You're only limited by your own imagination as well as your sense of initiative and ingenuity when it comes to seeking the information you desire to secure - PERIOD!!!
Now, go out and seek what you desire, and if I come across a book for you online, I'll post it up for you... In the meantime, do a google search in google books and you should come up with plenty of hits on reference books covering industrial radiography.

Btw, what school are you going to that requires you to go beyond the fundamentals of NDT methods and dives right into intermediate and advanced level NDT without even referring to a concise reference book on the subject matter??? I ask this because, it is really strange that your instructor would only give you handouts, and yet you feel that they are not enough to cover the types of questions being given to you in these quizzes...

So either you're unable to find the answers to the quizzes in the handouts which would mean tha the the instructor is giving you worthless reference material and I find that really hard to believe, or you're so obsessed in outwitting the instructor by showing him/her just how much advanced you are in the subject matter that it is imperative for you to go beyond the fundamentals and start to pick the instructor's own brain on just how knowledgeable the instructor really is on the subject which would end up being a complete waste of everybody's time and effort if this course you are going through is nothing more than an Associate degree level Welding Engineering Technology course curriculum as opposed to a full fledged and totally separate degree level course on Quality Control/Quality Assurance instead and some of the course material actually covers intermediate level NDT methods.

So if you would answer my question as to what exactly it is, and on what level are you currently studying whatever it is you are studying, we could then understand better what your current situation is, because I'm not in the business or pleasure of helping someone cheat - CAPECHE???

Why do I think this??? Because the information/links/resources I gave you are more than enough to give you a leg up in being able to prepare yourself to answer any and all of those questions as well as similar types of questions as the ones you posted up already in your previous posts and I find it hard to believe that any instructor worth their salt would not give you the necessary tools/resources in order to prepare you for any upcoming quizzes and more importantly, to give you the necessary reference material for you to use and to enable you to comprehend and understand the subject matter to the level where you indeed are prepared to answer any type of questions thrown at you as long as the answers cna be easily found within the reference book or even the handouts and whatever notes you were taking during the instructor's lectures on the subject matter...

You were taking notes weren't you??? If not, then bring in a tape recorder so that you could play back later in case you missed something or forgot to write something important down... In other words, if the subject matter and the questions are originating from the handouts and notes being given during the lectures, then you should have no trouble answering the questions on the quizzes given to you so long as the questions all originate from the very same handouts and lecture notes... If they do not, and you have proof that they do not, then you need to make a complaint about it!!! But you better be darn sure that you do have proof because if you don't, then the only thing that you have proved is that you're more interested in finding the easy way out and any educator worth their salt will notice that in a NY minute!

So if you really think that your instructor is giving you questions that you seriously cannot answer based on the current reference materials given as well as the lectures and notes covered during the lectures, then by all means make a complaint to the Dean or Chairperson of the department where your course is governed and administered by, but you better have proof!!! I hope these suggestions will help you more than cause animosity between us because, I'm still hopeful that you are indeed sincere in your quest for knowledge. ;)

Good Luck!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By travishttn (*) Date 02-13-2010 03:56
Henry,

Yes I have checked my local public and school library. Yes I have bothered checking this and other web links and yes I know you have posted some information for me to use and I have been using it. I am not here for all of you to give me answers to these questions..hint..I did answer all the questions..and the reason why I posted this is my other way of learning my mistakes from other people instead of the class I am taking so its just another resource I am using which benefits everyone including myself. I am not a cheater.

The class I am taking is giving me the fundamentals of NDT methods..step by step...I am doing welding metallurgy and film interpretation of weldments then I go on to the next NDT methods step by step from intermediate to advanced..you are taking this the wrong way.

My instructor is giving us the handouts from the book since the books haven't arrived so the quizzes he gives us are a few days later after the handouts and we go over it in class and then we turn in our quiz.

yes i am able to find the answers to the quizzes in the handouts, however I am not obsessed in outwitting the instructor by showing him how much advance I am in the subject matter and no its not imperative that I go beyond the fundamentals and yes its our job as students to pick the instructor's brain to get the information about x-ray films and how to read x-rays that is why I am taking the course.

to answer all of your silly questions...here it is:

I am taking classes at north harris college which is now called lonestar-north harris. The program I am currently taking is welding inspection technology and I am taking the ndt inspection certificate :

welding metallurgy
film interpretation of weldments
liq. pentetrant/mag. particle testing
intermediate ultrasonic testing
advanced ultrasonic testing
prep. for Wldg Inspection
Testing and inspection systems
Standards
cooperative education

so I am currently taking the first two classes I mention above. yes I take notes and I don't use tape recorders because I am a hearing impaired person who doesn't hear well and that is my other reason to want a book because not always I will be online to view matierials needed for the handouts that was given to me in class and yes we go over the handouts then we have a quiz..( the handouts have have chapters just like the book have chapters so the handouts goes from chapter 1 then we cover it in class then quiz and then we go from chapter 2 and so on...which is what we are doing in class.

yes I am indeed sincere in my quest for knowledge and no I am not going to go and make a complaint to the dean or chairperson of the deparment....its pointless.

the only reason why I am using this site which is to learn from others and yes I do read alot of information. The information I get from people like you and others is helpful but the response you wrote to me wasn't helpful..it was more of your smartass comment that you don't agree with by me posting this information I need the answer to.

so if you don't have any helpful suggestions or if you don't want to help out then just keep this information to yourself..I don't have the time to read what you agree with or don't agree with. I am here to learn and not to be bashed by you.

thank you
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-13-2010 05:36 Edited 02-13-2010 05:51
Get used to it because you will get this type scrutiny quite often, and if you don't like it??? Well then too bad!!! Weldcome to the real world!!!

You wait until after the fact to inform me in detail what courses you are studying with the presumption that I'm supposed to have some unrealistic power or capability in knowing beforehand which courses you are taking??? Get real young man!!!!

Many students just like yourself have come here to get some quick answers and some of us would fall for their deception, but I will not! I gave you sufficient information for you to not only check your answers to the quiz you took, and I also gave you some other resources which will also be very helpful for you in the future as well, and yet you accuse me of bashing you???

You are the one who comes in here expecting so darn much from everyone with your whining diatribe about how hard it is to find a suitable book for you study when all you needed to do was to make a REAL EFFORT instead of complain to me how hard it is for you to find a particular book and how bad I've bashed you... GIVE ME A BREAK YOU UNGRATEFUL EXPLETIVE!!!

I offered you alternatives and you complained that they weren't good enough, then I suggest alternate sources to locate the book you're so interested in purchasing which if you really wanted to buy the darn book, you would have already purchased it for cryin out loud!!!

Yes! I did challenge you in order to see if you are truly being sincere, and I have good reason to do so! Why??? Because I don't know you from Adam, and I want to make darn sure that I'm not helping anyone cheat!!! However, for you to disrespect me with your childish response is just too much for me to let pass by without letting you know that you are nothing more than an ungrateful expletive - PERIOD!!!

Btw, Now I'm BASHING YOU!!! :) :) :)

Henry
Parent - - By travishttn (*) Date 02-13-2010 07:10
well I want to apologize for what I said and yes its the real world and I should be the one thanking you for you taking the time in giving me the information that I was looking for. The reason why I said what I said based on your comments wasn't mean to start a war with you in terms with what I disagree with your comments. However, I do see your point and for that I do apologize and forgive my comments it wasn't meant to be rude at all.

I am not a young man for your information. I am not coming on here expecting anyone to do any homework at all. I am not here to create any deception at all. I am learning NDT and all the resources you have given me so far was enough and yes I have found the book and have ordered it. If it wasn't for you and others who have provided me the information I wouldn't be where I am at.

Yes you have offered me alternatives and no I wasn't complaining that they were not enough. The website www.ndt-ed.org which what we started with from the begining of the course and we have already covered it and now I think the handouts are from the instructors book that he has not really sure at this point if we are getting the books for this class..to be honest I am just going by what he is giving us to learn and the quizes is from the handouts he gives us and the resources are all from that website that you listed. however, bare with me on this..some of the questions are tricky in a sense in trying to understand how to answer the question which is the reason why I posted the question and answer. Yes I have most of all the answers to the questions. It took me a while to find them all by reading and rereading the information to understand the question and then coming to that answer to that question.

thank you for the challenge and yes I am being sincere and I want to offer my sincere apology for my comments towards you henry. I don't know you and you don't know me and sorry for the disrespect that I have given you and it wasn't meant to go that way.

so if you won't accept my apology then I can understand not here to fight but here to gain knowledge in NDT.

again thank you for your time and thank you for the information you have given me up to this point.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-14-2010 05:14
Apology accepted.

All the best to you.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By travishttn (*) Date 02-14-2010 07:35
Thank you Henry I do appreciate your helpful information you have given me and I hope the apology was enough.
Parent - By travishttn (*) Date 02-13-2010 04:00
well I was looking for the ASNT NDT handbook on Radiography...yes it would be helpful...I found the information in the website...thanks
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-12-2010 06:25
You can find the correct answers here:

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Radiography/cc_rad_index.htm

This one is Radiation Theory & Safety:

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/RadiationSafety/cc_rad-safety_index.htm

You should have no problem finding the correct answers for these question in the first link... What I don't understand is the fact that you haven't attempted to search the internet beforehand??? Regardless to what has been told to you in the past, there are some pretty reliable resources online and I suggest that you use this teaching/research tool to your advantage!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By travishttn (*) Date 02-13-2010 04:02
I am trying to use this teaching  and research tool to my advantage...

I just wished you quit being so rude.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-13-2010 05:24
Dear travishttn;

Please do not be offended by some of the comments you have read on the forum. You have to understand that it is not uncommon for a few students, that are too lazy in some cases, to use this forum to do their homework. Rather than spending the time needed to study the course material, they use this forum as a quick way to get the answers they need.

We do not want to turn away anyone that needs help, but we do not like to do the homework questions intended to make a student delve deeper into the textbooks he or she should be reading.

While I am sympathic with your situation. There are resources available that will help you check your answers. I do appreciate the fact that you listed your answers, but we have no way of knowing if we are doing your homework, a take home quiz, etc.

We appreciate the fact that you are studing NDT, it is a field that will provide you with ample employment opportunities once you have finished your studies.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By travishttn (*) Date 02-13-2010 06:57
I am not offended by some of the comments I have read on the forum. Yes I understand that it is not uncommon for some students who may be lazy to do homework. I agree that spending the time to study the course material and to use the form as a quick way to get the answers they need which is what I was trying to do. I do appreciate those that gives me the information where I can better utilize my knowledge in this field of study.

I am not looking for anyone to do my homework at all and I should be the one using the information to get the resources that will benefit me in the long run. For that I should be thankful for the information that was given to me.

thank you for being sympathic with my situation. Yes I listed the question and answer and the reason I was doing that to be sure if my answer were right other wise I would be thinking why did I get it wrong. which was the reason why I posted it.

yes I am studying NDT and hopefully that it will provide me the employment opportunities when I finish my studies which is my goal.
Parent - - By travishttn (*) Date 02-14-2010 07:41
This is what my instructor told me to use which was www.ndt-ed.org .....however this is a online is there a difference in online and having a handbook? this is what I was wondering if using the online and if I had the handbook I am sure they both would be the same.

also if you go online on www.ndt-ed.org and go to the part where it says recommended NDT books

this is what I think I am getting the handouts from (radiographic testing programmed instruction and classroom training books which vol 1 origin and nature of radiation vol 2 radiation safety vol 3 radiographic equipment vol 4 making radiograph and vol 5 film handling and processing....

I think thats what he is using for this class.

just to give you an idea this is the type of information i am getting in class. I am sure all of this is useful information
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-14-2010 09:05 Edited 02-14-2010 09:30
Did you look at this link yet??? it's a pretty good one also...

http://www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php

Click on this link, and you'll find all sorts of .pdf articles on a variety of RT techniques used in the field, but first you need to scroll down on the left hand column to where it says "Radiography" then click the link, and another page will open up with a listing of different methods of Radiographic testing methods...

Once you get to this page, look to the right and click on any of the RT processes listed to give you another link which opens up to show you a wide variety of .pdf articles covering that specific RT method you previously clicked and these article are written in more than one language... So if you only know English, then just scroll down the pages to pick one which may be of interest to you. ;) Here's an example:

http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?MainSource=-1&showForm=OFF&KeywordID=8&MainSource=-1&SearchDocs=filmless%20radiography&restrict=keywords&searchmode=Phrase

This one is interesting enough:

http://www.ndt.net/article/jrc-nde2007/papers/13_12-17.pdf

ENJOY!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By travishttn (*) Date 02-14-2010 13:59
thanks..i will check it out.
- - By ndeguy (*) Date 02-14-2010 05:06
I think you have done well in your answers for a newbie. The radiation/matter interaction questions will remain unanswered by many old hand radiographers! Some questions I think you are mistaken  - not 100% certain on all of these (I am an UT guy!), perhaps some others will answer and risk ridicule!!!!

2 - A, internal scatter. Back scatter is from ground usually.
3 - C, not E as I dont think light is generated - not that I've ever stuck my head up the "window" of an energised tube to look!
4 - A, intensity of X-radiation is proportional to tube current. mA affects amount (intensity) of radiation produced, kV affects energy (quality) of radiation (wavelength).
7 - A
9 - A and B - the question is for X-rays of different ENERGIES, and wavelength is inversely proportional to both energy and frequency.
11. Ah the old wave/particle duality. Is radiation particulate?
15 - Bad question, imho - when an X-ray tube is "warmed-up" in gradual increments an increasing range of wavelengths is produced starting from long wavelengths at low kV gradually adding shorter wavelengths as the kV is increased. So on lowering kV the shorter wavelengths stop being produced leaving just the longer wavelengths.

Well done, keep at it and never mind the pesky mosquitos! Hope this helps.
Parent - By travishttn (*) Date 02-14-2010 14:00
thanks for the information...it gives me a better understanding of my answers and the meaning of the answers that are corrected.
- - By JM_VRCIC (*) Date 02-17-2010 04:06
Good evening gentlemen, I was wondering if any of you have a RT Handbook to share. I will be more than please.

Best regards,
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 02-21-2010 01:26
Hi, Why not try below link. Downloadable

www.kodak.com/eknec/.../87/.../Radiography-in-Modern-Industry.pdf

Just a word about ssbn77- henry. His message is very simple and he meant from his heart,ie We have to very sincere and persistent of what we desire to acheive.
His contribution to the FORUM invaluable. Getting "bashed" by him can be experienced as bliss

Thanks
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 02-24-2010 06:51
"Getting "bashed" by him can be experienced as bliss"

Or so an apologist may claim - simpler souls may just say its gratuitous violence.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-24-2010 07:03 Edited 02-24-2010 07:07
Hi nigel!

Ischcibble... Posted 37 times ever since you joined way back in "1969???" ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! :) :) :) Hmmmm... Was the internet even around way back then??? ;) ;) ;)
You've been "bashed... How does it feel??? ;)"

Henry
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 02-24-2010 07:18
Nothing! Not even a tickle, Henry. Should it?

whats "Ischcibble" - As for the other part of your statement i have had only 37 worthwhile things to write in 40 years (? thought i joined about 3 - 4 years ago) Henry. My philosophy is its better to keep quiet and have people suspect i might be a fool than to keep opening my mouth and prove i am one! ;>))

Nigel
Parent - By ndeguy (*) Date 02-24-2010 07:21
Henry, If I had paid you money for that bashing I would be in the small claims court now trying to get it back. Harder, pussycat, faster, kill, kill!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-24-2010 08:25 Edited 02-24-2010 09:25
Hello Nigel,

Just by your reply, you have proved to be one, yet there's always the possibility of redeeming yourself at some point... Btw, all you need to do is to look at your profile and you'll see that your sign up date is indeed "12/31/1969" even though you did actually join only a few years ago, and I was only trying to inject some humor into the conversation but instead, you interpreted as something offensive towards you which baffles me by your reaction...  Also, do not try to better yourself by insinuating that every one of those 37 posts were "worthwhile! ;)" Although, I did find quite a few of them quite humorous indeed along with the occasional "insertfootinmouth" reply which has happened to all of us in here on occasion including myself!!! :) :) :) ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! :) :) :)

Now, let's get back to the matter at hand shall we??? First off, you come in here hijacking the thread by starting your "fecial" rant towards me when another person was just expressing his own experience with seeking help in this forum, and so I decided to respond to your rather rude and disrespectful comment regarding the way I behave in here when you express yourself in that manner??? How hypocritical to say the least. :( Well Nigel, who friggin died and gave you a superior moral authority to start instigating such crap??? NOBODY DID!!!

So please try to show the rest of us a much better example of you actually participating in here as opposed to "trolling" in here recently, and occasionally only posting to instigate some sort of confrontation with whomever you choose, because after awhile it gets real old fast... There are other forums where that sort of practice is tolerated, but not here!

So if you're going to contribute some of your knowledge and experience which has been shown to be at times, impressive in some accounts of your previous posts - within the certain sections of the forum, then please do so by all means, but if you're going to come in here to our beloved forum and instigate confrontations with whomever you please, you will find that most of the folks in here will find your current comments unwelcome at the very least - CAPECHE???

And if I failed to give you a proper "Weldcome" beforehand then Nigel, "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!! :) :) :)"

So let's not turn this into a childish back and forth between two individuals in here over personal differences... If you want to send me a Private Message which is a feature available to you in here, then by all means do so, but let's not splash our personal differences, or obvious animosity towards each other and instead, try to promote a better image of professionalism while allowing ourselves to be humorous and at times when necessary, as straightforward and to the point as possible as opposed to being confrontational in this forum...

Now if you took the time to retrace the beginning of this thread and follow the time lines of each posting, you will discover that my own comments were a response to being accused of being rude, or posting irrelevant links for someone's knowledge base to "bashing someone" when it is very clear to anyone who does take the time, and places the effort to review chronologically the posts in this thread to see that it is clear that I had no intention whatsoever to "bash" anyone in here or otherwise and I was simply responding to a false accusation which later was resolved, and put to rest until you decided that it was in your own best interest to revive much to do about nothing! :(

So I end this conversation here with you by emphasizing that there's no such a thing as time being wasted in taking the time to read the entire thread chronologically so that you do indeed understand the thread better as opposed ot becoming very reactive and confrontational when good humor is sooo much more fun!!! ;) Don't you agree??? Now if you want to continue expressing yourself in the same manner as your recent previous posts in this thread show, then you certainly have the right to do so - that is your choice. ;) And by all means, add a topic or two if you have the time every now and then as I'm sure they will be informative in content... ;)

Finally, "Ishcibble" is sort of an inside joke in a word that my old friends used to use among us while we were growing up in New York city which really meant: "Are you as confused as I am??? ;)" It also had other meanings, but it all depended in the context in which it was used to express an opinion or an observation of certain behaviors expressed by others around us. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 02-24-2010 13:30 Edited 02-24-2010 13:47
Henry

For me Henry the problem is that you write a lot, flame a lot and then towards the end of your post you become conciliatory by which time many readers, myself included have dropped out. But having gone back to scan your post again, thank you for your humorous and bashful (sorry poor attempt at humour) welcome to the Forum which I have been on for over 40 years with an average posting of less than once per year.

I replied very briefly to your post as I only had a few minutes left of  my lunch break.

Travishttn took some effort to post the questions with his answers and politely asked the board members to evaluate and comment on his answers. Straightforward and commendable initiative on the part of a student in my opinion. Also a thinking cap challenge for old hands who last studied theory many years ago. It seems your opinion of his efforts was different and you let him know it, gave him both barrels, "bashed" him in your speak, without discussing any of his answers to the questions as far as I am aware. To me that was rude and ungracious. Someone offered an humorous apology comparing your responses to Travishttn as bliss. I thought "gratuitous violence" seemd to suit more than bliss.

Its rather drole that you say I hijacked the thread. I thought I answered some of his enquiry, discussed some basic physical principles of ionizing radiation production - it didnt seem as if anybodt else was going to answer any so basically the thread was moribund and I dont think you can hijack a dead thread.

Please dont assign to me your assumptions of my interpretations, its discourteous - no way did I find "1969" offensive - just an obvious error, originally mine, but what has that to do with how we reply to people asking to assist in improving their understanding of techncial topics? I still havent checked it out or corrected it I dont rate it as important. For the same reason I have not looked at your profile. The issue is helping those who respectfully ask for help as Travishttn did.

What is a "fecial" rant - are you referring to faeces? Disgusting if so. In fact the more I venture into the morass of your post the more it stinks of....
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2010 14:11
The "join date".....I believe was a malfunction of the forum software, the new software did not recognize the old date format from the old forum software and changed whatever date was there to read 1969 vs the actual "join date". maybe ross knows more about why this happened, I dunno....but it was not an isolated case, many of the older members here still have 1969 as their join date.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-24-2010 15:34
All done after the fact that you hijacked the thread with an obvious insult toward me and without any initial explanation! And I'm not about to let your remarks go unanswered without a response  Now will you give it a rest already??? DENIAL IS NOT A RIVER IN EGYPT AND A HIJACK IS A HIJACK ANY WAY YOU SLICE IT ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE BEING DEROGATORY IN YOUR COMMENTS!

All you are doing by continuing your pompous behavior in here is proving just how disrespectful and well, I'll let everyone else decide those words with their own choice instead of being baited into a "tit for tat" with you Nigel. So let's end it already because it doesn't help anyone in here to continue this silly discussion over something so insignificant as your ill informed observations. Finally, your fecial rant is what it is and there's no denying it! If it is indeed disgusting to you, then all you have to do is stop adding to it!!! :) :) :)

Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 02-24-2010 17:54
Let it go Henry
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-24-2010 19:18
You're right... I'm done here with this! ;)

Respectfully,
henry
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-24-2010 15:39
Um, can't we all just get along??? :-)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-24-2010 15:44
It would be nice if Nigel would cooperate instead of continuing his "fecial" ( Yeah, I know it's spelled "fecal" ;) ) rant towards me as I am merely defending myself! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Radiographic interpretation (20 Q&A)