Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Shop Inspector Eye Exams
- - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 02-11-2010 20:02
We just had our AISC Audit and the auditor told me that, as a CWI, I am qualified to give my shop inspectors their eye exams.
1) Has anyone else encountered this?
2) If so, where do you get the correct eye and color blind charts?

Thanks for the help.
MICHAEL B
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 02-11-2010 20:10
When we hire new people, we do a pre-employment physical, I made sure that it covers vision and color blindness as well just for this instance.  Otherwise I used to send them for an eye test w/ an eye doctor. I have seen other employers give you a reading/ vision test, its a card with a weird/ strange saying on it and it you could read it from 12" you passed.  The color test is a book w/ a series of numbers and lines that are in different colors against the surroundings, if you were color blind you would never see the number.  I didnt want to write and validate a procedure to test my own people, so it was easier to pay the $80 or whatever and send them to a doctor and have it official.
Chris

Jeager test? something like that.
Visual Aquity?
Look at the CWI requirements it'll be there
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 20:44
I have to renew my eye exam every year, so I schedule my inspectors to go with me and get all of us done at the same time. Our eye Dr. only charges a minimal charge($45) to administer the two required tests(Jaegar 1 and color blind) to each of us. Normally, you only need to take the Jaeger 2 for AWS, but I get the Jaegar 1 to satisfy the ASNT ACCP VT II requirements.

to answer your question #2:
Someone has posted links to a supplier of these eye charts in the forum...I'll try to find the links if I get a minute.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-11-2010 20:45
MICHAEL B
News to me sounds like the blind leading the blind. LoL
Lenscrafters will do a full eye exam for @ 60 dollars others even less.
I wonder I will find out more next month as our audit comes.
Take Care
Marshall
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 20:50
Here is the thread with the links to online vision testing(acuity and color blind)....and many other links as well.

Scroll down to ssbn727's post on 2/5/04 @ 22:59

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=21689
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 20:57
Man John! That certainly was a while back!!! :) :) :) I miss that winter!!! :( :( :(

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 20:59
Thanks for the research.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-11-2010 21:27
Anytime John! And everybody else for that matter!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-11-2010 21:11 Edited 02-11-2010 21:13
yes i give welder and inspector eye exams yearly I use a J1 chart.

I will get the company name tomorrow.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Shop Inspector Eye Exams