Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / What can i expect after school ????
- - By sillyslik (**) Date 02-12-2010 01:51
hi! all! i'm new to AWS! on a stuent member! i'm in school now working on my smaw test plates(3G) and i wonder what i can expect when i hiit the real world,as the preverbial "fng" i thougt about fab cause i got good sheet metal experience! (tin knocker). i also would like to try riding the pipe too! fill me in!
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 02-12-2010 12:22
You need to be proficient in 3 processes,SMAW,GMAW,and GTAW to earn any decent money once you graduate.Pipe is a totally different animal,it's harder because your contrast changes as you go around the pipe.But like anything else,it takes alot of practice to get slick.Good Luck.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-15-2010 07:52 Edited 02-15-2010 08:04
Welcome

A guy could go on for paragraphs repsonding to your question, and of course the exact answer depends on what particular industry you go to work in, and what company you work for.

In general though expect to be expected to:

- work under demanding environmental conditions

- make quality welds with poor access and limited or sometimes even no visibility

- make welds one handed, while on one foot, or on your knees, side, back, shoulders, etc

- jump on a joint that is poorly fit and which contains gross contamination, or which was already thoroughly botched by someone else and needs to be reworked, and produce a quality result

- operate common welding and cutting processes, and air arc, in all positions proficiently

- walk up to any power source or power source/feeder combination, at any location having never seen it before, and be able to figure it out and start producing quality results, quickly

- work with poorly maintained equipment, trouble shoot it, and fix it

- read at least basic prints

- perform math computations accurately and quickly

- do accurate measuring and layout

- apply fitting techniques using dogs and wedges, strong backs, Port-a-powers, pad-eyes and come-a-longs, etc

- control distortion

- control arc blow

- operate, maintain, and repair portable and fixed tools and machinery

- show up as many hours as you are needed, as many days as needed, and give an hour of work for an hour's pay

- be flexible and creative

- be mentally tough, overcome, and produce!

- etc

It is challenging work.  That is what keeps it interesting.  Best of luck!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / What can i expect after school ????