Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT on 12" X1.500"
- - By reflex_ak Date 02-12-2010 16:19
I have recently had the coopperheat team PWHT a couple spools and they didnt have the right paper in the printout and now they have to repeat the proccess.
What will this do to the material? I have to get a Brinnell hrdness test after they are done? The spool soaked for 80min. at 1110F-1150F
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-12-2010 18:07
1st. If they (Cooperheat) did the PWHT job wrongly, yes, they'll have to repeat it.
2nd. The material will benefit from a PWHT done correctly.
3rd. Brinell test depends on which standard the pipe has been designed to. If it was ASME B31.1 (Power piping), no, it doesn't require a given Brinell hardness after PWHT. If it was B31.3 (Chemical plant and refinery piping), yes, it requires a Brinell hardness test after PWHT. If the required BHN hasn't been achieved, then the PWHT must be repeated.
4th. Is Cooperheat still on business? Do you know their site (www. etc. etc.) or address? I'll thank you very much if you let me know them.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-12-2010 18:11
Giovanni
http://www.teamindustrialservices.com/fht/default.html
History

Founded by Peter Cooper 1950
   Incorporated in U.S. - 1958
   Management buyout - December 1980
   Acquired by CBI - December 1992
   CBI Acquired by Praxair - January 1996
    acquired by IISI - June 1997
   IISI acquired by Team, Inc. August 2004

Team Industrial Services, the largest field heat treating company in the world:
Your getting quick John
Marshall
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-12-2010 18:34
I didn't need to type as much this time...
Parent - - By reflex_ak Date 02-12-2010 19:36
Thank you so much for the info...It is B31.3 and I was referring to the cooperheat team as our qualified electricians. They use a cooperheat machine and the paper that has their logo on it. So they must still be in buisness. They have merged with Stork so you can find them under.     http://www.storkcooperheat.com/
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-13-2010 15:21
Nantong asks a good question. What material.
However, for most materials it should pose no problem.
Keep in mind that most of what happens in heat treat happens in the first half hour or so. Even 15 minutes or so. Even instantaneously for the most part, at any particular location (speaking of stress relief). Once the material heats to its yield point for a given temperature it doesn' take long for it to yield.
The time required is to make sure that all of the material is exposed to the regime not because anything additional happens.
Once the initial creep has taken place then the whole process of metallurgical change slows down and becomes more related to precipitation mechanisms.
However, different alloys respond differently. In some carbides will precipitate faster. In some the precipitations will actually cause a strengthening.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-13-2010 18:18
So true!

I'm always grateful for your perspectives Jeff! Thank you!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
- By nantong (**) Date 02-13-2010 08:41
What material is it? That is the most important thing. If it is a tree structure (and is not designed for low temperature service) then there should be no problem.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT on 12" X1.500"