Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Mig Al
- - By akshita jain Date 02-13-2010 12:59
I have a 250 A Mig inverter welder.I want to run 1.2 mm Al wire(ER 4043) .Whethere it will work or not because  wire feeder is equipped with  two wheel drive
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-13-2010 15:35
ak****a jain
You might invest in a Teflon liner.
Just My ΒΆΒΆ's
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-13-2010 18:45
It will be problematic.

For small or one off jobs it can be done... For production you will want something more dependable like a push-pull gun or a spool gun.

As Marshall said, a teflon liner for aluminum liner is important if your going to push aluminum wire... also an extra short whip with absolutely no bends or kinks.. It has to be a straight shot from the rollers to the tip or you will have birdnests in short order.

5356 filler is also stiffer and less likely to birdnest.   If you can make the filler switch this will help too.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-14-2010 21:20
I'm with Lawrence.  Even with a liner and a push-pull you'll get occasional jams.  If you're running a relatively short duty cycle, spool gun might be better.  We work in the shop, no field work, and run Cobramatics on top of CP302 power supplies with about a 60% duty cycle and have relatively few problems with the setup.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-15-2010 17:52
I agree with above...with a short lead, teflon liner, and not a lot of movement or weird postitions (the more straight you can keep the lead the better), you can do a small (few pieces) of work and be ok.  If you have to do a lot a spoolgun is alright, but a push pull setup is way better if you will be laying a lot of bead.  Cobramatic leads/guns for my money are the best you can get but they are pricey.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Mig Al