Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Visual inspection procedure
- - By mtam Date 02-13-2010 16:36
Can someone please described the visual inspection process an AWS CWI should be following in the field?  Is just looking at a weld with the naked eye "good enough" to pass the visual inspection procedure or are there other required tests required to pass a visual?
Thx
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-13-2010 16:56
mtam
Welcome to the Forum
More information could help give better answers to your question.
If you are checking welds you will need drawings or some other information to go by.
Size, Length, type, ...
You might need a magnifier if there is questionable appearances.
But like I mentioned the main thing is to insure that the weld required by the engineer is deposited acceptable to the code being called for.
Hope this helps more than hurts.
Good Luck
Again Welcome to the Forum
Marshall
Parent - - By mtam Date 02-13-2010 18:26
Yes your right.  Plans, specs etc.  At what point does a weld fail the visual inspection?  I have seen vertical mild steel welds about 12" long that have a good amount of "grapes" on them but they have passed.  Does that sound right to you?  Or is there way more to it than that?  Would you fail the visual for these grapes?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-13-2010 18:51 Edited 02-13-2010 18:54
Hi mtam! First off, "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!! :) :) :)"
Now, this is a generalized answer, yet it pretty much addresses the issue you are describing...

One would then refer to the amount of allowable weld face reinforcement within the governing welding and construction code/standard as well as what is acceptable within the contract specifications and if necessary, clarification from the EOR (Engineer Of Record)  in order to make the appropriate decision as to passing, or failing the weld as well as whether or not a complete removal or just a grinding down of the "grapes" is an adequate repair to this condition you're describing. ;)

There are other actions that some other folks in here may suggest to take from an inspectors perspective and there are quite a few to read from which I'm sure you will when they decide to chime in here... One of them would be to cover your behind by writing a Non-Conformance Report (NCR)  if you must sign off on the weld, and do not agree to pass the weld and this way regardless of who overrules you, if something happens (God Forbid!) later and the weld does indeed fail, or something else fail as a result of leaving all of that excessive reinforcement (standard AWS term for "Grapes" ;) ) on the weld zone, then the blame cannot be directed to you!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-13-2010 22:56
The welding inspector has a task that begins before the weld is made, while the weld is being deposited, and once the weld is completed.

What should be checked before welding? The following is a partial listing:
drawings
standards/codes
WPS
base metal
groove details
fit-up
alignment
preheat
welder qualifications
proper filler metal storage
precleaning

During welding:
proper process per the WPS
proper filler metal
proper filler metal exposure limitations for low hydrogen SMAW electrodes
is the welder working within the parameters listed on the WPS
preheat in accordance with the WPS
interpass limitations if applicable
interpass cleaning
weld bead profile
is complete joint penetration achieved if it is required
are CJP double sided groove welds properly back gouged

After welding:
is the weld the proper size?
is the weld located per the drawing?
are there unauthorized welds?
is the weld properly cleaned after the weld is completed?
does the weld have the proper profile?
is the weld the proper length?
did the inspector have the proper gages and tools to perform the inspection properly?
is there excessive distortion?

There is much more to welding inspection than simply looking at the weld and pronouncing it accepted or rejected.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By mtam Date 02-15-2010 13:33
OK thx for teh help.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-15-2010 17:27
The answer to your primary question may go unnoticed in my response. Near the end of my response was the question, "did the inspector have the proper gages and tools to perform the inspection properly?"

Unless the welds were clearly deficient, if you can answer that the inspector did not gage the fillet welds, I would say he didn't do a thorough job of inspection the welds.

Best regards - Al
- By malCWI (*) Date 02-15-2010 18:31
mtam- 803056 is correct in what the welding inspector does do for a project and that is just scratching the surface of the job. To controlling codes and standards actually explain a visual acceptrance criteria. If I'm not mistaken I believe AWS D1.1 and D1.5 have a weld reinforcement of 1/8". If there are (grapes) excessive reinforcement present the inspector if he performed his duties could have possibly found excessive undercut also with these welds. If you have anything with buying these welds off for acceptance then I would take pictures and document or if you are a weldor just wanting to give someone a hard time now you've got some dirt.
  Always remember there is always somewhere an acceptance criteria someone has to follow.
  Have a great day
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Visual inspection procedure