Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / how many passes for a 2" soc-o-let?
- - By scrappywelds (***) Date 02-14-2010 01:57
My foreman today complained about how much weld I put on a 2" soc-o-let on 3" sch. 10 in my defense the soc-o-let was fit up slightly turned on the pipe. I know rule of thumb would be same thickness as the thinness material which was about 3/16". My question is does B3.1 give a min. and max size of the fillet weld side. Mine was about 3/16" - 1/4".
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 02-14-2010 03:31
Just made a weld last week. 1" 3000# 304 ss soc-o-let to 3" sch 10 304 ss. Print called for a 3/8" fillet. Asked the foreman and he said it was too much, but go ahead and make it 3/8". Would have taken a week or more getting engineers and customer involved. It was welded to B31.3.  Operating pressure 50 and temperature 180.
Usually, we'll fill it up to the weld line then add one fillet around the o-let. ( when no weld size is given)
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 02-15-2010 02:25
In most cases if the print calls for it that is what it will get done but if the engineer is available it could be changed. What I am really looking for is the exact code paragragh on soc-o-lets. I was always told to fill out fillet side at least.
- - By malCWI (*) Date 02-15-2010 18:48
scrappywelds- Check in chapter V of B 31.1 (Fabrication, Assembly and Erection) section 127.4.4(B) and (C). In the figure it shows the weld shall be a minimum thickness of the socket itself. This could be over-ridden by the engineer or customer's request. However the code only requires a minimal weld size equal to the thickness of the socket.
  Hope this helps you.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 02-16-2010 02:06
well I don't have access to B 31.1 code book. so it must atleast be flushed out?
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-16-2010 06:24
MalCWI,
I think scrappy welds is talking about the groove weld where the sockolet fits on to the run pipe.
If that is the case it is a full penetration weld with cover fillet (minimum size of fillet is 3/16 = 5 mm) 127.4.8 (c) which references minimum fillet sizes as per Fig 127.4.8 (e)
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-16-2010 16:14
The weld between the run pipe and the branch fitting has to be a CJP with a reinforcing fillet as noted by Shane. However, the fitting reinforces the run pipe to compensate for the material loss of the hole. The code does not list different size welds based on the pipe thickness or the design pressure. It is as Shane described. The manufacturers qualify the branch fitting and they define the physical size of the weld. Often the fitting will have multiple bevel angles. Typically the CJP has to be filled to the top edge of the first bevel with a reinforcing fillet. Other designs where the fitting is nearly the same size as the run pipe, things can be more complicated because you can not use a reinforcing fillet. It is important to know how the manufacturer requires the fitting to be welded for the fitting to function properly.

If you are asking the question relative to the socket weld, i.e., where the branch pipe slides into the socket, each piping code has different requirements for the size fo the fillet. It can be a small as 1.09 times the branch pipe thickness to 1.25 times the branch pipe wall thickness. You have to know what pipe code you are working to and if you are working with B31.3 Process Piping Code, you need the service class to know if the socket fitting can even be used.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 02-17-2010 02:39
Thanks that was what I was asking. I knew I was right on the way I welded it out but my foreman said I only needed three passes. Three passes wouldn't even come close to filling it out, let alone a reinforcing fillet weld.

Bryan
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / how many passes for a 2" soc-o-let?