Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat input and Hastelloy
- - By Steve.E (**) Date 02-14-2010 09:31
Hi guys recently I was asked to prepare a new PQR using C 2000 hastelloy . all the searching I did showed a recommendation of a low to moderate heat input for this material, but nothing specific . Now my idea of low heat input could well be quite different to your idea so was wondering what you would consider low to moderate for 1.2mm wire GMAW under a argon helium mix
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-14-2010 10:10
Need more info regarding the thickness of the material, the joint configuration, the method of transfer you're going to use, what position are you going to deposit the weld in, etc.

How about giving us an idea what you were going to use as welding parameters including travel speed, % of Argon & Helium shielding gas, etc. ;) What type of set up are you working to? ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-14-2010 10:18
Btw, Steve, Did you manage to find this .pdf by any chance???

http://www.haynesintl.com/pdf/h2110.pdf

How about this one???

http://www.haynesintl.com/HASTELLOYC2000Alloy/HASTELLOYC2000AlloyWF.htm

Remember that Maximum interpass temperature is no more than 200 degrees F. during welding. ;)

Hope this helps! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 02-15-2010 03:00
Thanks Henry that first pdf had it all , the application was a overlay on 25mm A516-70 plate. I ended up using gmawp with 1.2 wire and 25% Helium in Argon most runs were about 160Amps , 27 Volts with around 500-550 travel speed , max interpass temp was 85 C . My calculated heat inputs were well under the maximums indicated in the haynes pdf. Visuals and DP looked good so I just have to wait for mechanicals.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-15-2010 04:08 Edited 02-15-2010 04:22
Hi steve!

I'm glad it was helpful... I was just curious... Your increased travel speed than from what was recommended, was it increased to control dilution & distortion?
I could understand if this was the case. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-15-2010 17:58 Edited 02-15-2010 18:00
Nice post/info Hank!   I saved those in case I ever get back on aircraft and have to run any wire (have not run across it yet ...but)....always helps to be armed with hard data when arguing with the weld engineer.
Parent - By Steve.E (**) Date 02-16-2010 06:57
Who's Hank :) Dilution was always going to be an issue Henry, client spec. required a 3% max Fe , 6mm min thickness and a min 3 layers . I achieved just under the 3% Fe content on the second layer so that worked out well. But more to the point those speeds gave me the correct thickness with by the 3rd layer . An added bonus was It just welded nice at that speed. :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat input and Hastelloy