Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cert help
- - By angus Date 02-14-2010 21:42
Hay everybody, I'll quickly give you my story. I'm 17, been in welding school for a year now, done with my smaw, gmaw, and o/a cutting now working on tig welding. I'm on of the best in class because i stay busy. I'm still in high school (senior) but I'm only there for 1.5 hours a day I'm at tech school the rest of the time (usually 8 hours a day) I stay under my hood for probably 7 hours of that time. My question is about getting a job when I graduate. I've heard there's really no work anywhere, I live in south Georgia but willing to travel anywhere. I want that to set my self apart from everybody else.I'm clean (no drinking or drug) I've already got that covered, responsible witch I am but I need certifications. What i want to know is what certs I need, how to get um, and a little advice on how to practice for um. Thanks everybody
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 02-15-2010 05:00
How close are you to Fort Stewart and when will you be 18? You can PM me if you don't want to respond in this thread. I have some work there very soon and will last several months. I will find out more tomorrow.

Work is slow compared to 2 years ago but if willing to travel it can be found although it helps to have connections.
The certifications you need depend on what field you want to pursue. Pipe, structural, boiler tubes, shop work, field work, etc.
It also depends on what processes you want to use predominately. SMAW, GTAW, GMAW, FCAW are the most common. Generally, pipe welding is the most lucrative but not always. The more you learn the easier to find work. Any company that wants to employ you will be responsible to test/certify you. You will need to be good enough to pass the test that the company requires you to take for them. Usually a couple of plate test (groove) for structural welding and a 6G pipe test for pipe welding but there are so many combinations and variables it's impossible to give THE test that's best for you. I suggest that you pick a process and craft to start out with and achieve that goal. That is only the beginning. You can add to that at the pace that you are able to and the opportunities that you have.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Drug free, responsible, eager to learn, on a great forum seeking advice from some of the best in the bidness. Not me, the others.
Parent - By angus Date 02-15-2010 21:50
I'll be 18 in 3 weeks but im still in high school so idk if i could go to work right now by im free in may I'll have to skips out on 1 welding course in tech school but i'll be able to stick tig and hopfull be a good tig pipe welder when i leave in may
- - By malCWI (*) Date 02-15-2010 18:15
Thats a good start willing to travel being young and ddrug and alcohol free. If I were starting out knowing what there is I agree perfect one process then move on to the next. I would begin with the shielded metal process (SMA, stick), because most companies deal with this process and it is the most versitile. If you canwork with plates doing a groove weld with backing bar in the vertical then overhead with LO-HI (E7018) you should have a pretty good chance with employment.
  Mostly all companies will have there own certifications so it is difficult to generalize what they would use. I've seen pipe weldors conduct the test vertical down while boiler weldors perform the pipe test vertical up. Get aquainted with the different electrodes out there and prcatice now if you want a job right out of school.
Wish you the best and keep your arc short and your heat high.
Mark
Parent - By angus Date 02-15-2010 21:51
Yes Sir thanks for the help i spent a year stick welding foucing on vert being as it was the hardest to me but i can weld groove joints no problem open root or backing plate either one
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cert help