Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Structural Steel Beam cut short
- - By greek (*) Date 02-16-2010 16:49
I  have a beam cut 1/2" short can I repair by welding ?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-16-2010 17:07
I know my answer will sound extreme, but when our saw messes up and cuts a beam short(even a 1/2"), we splice a foot back on and then UT the joint, and cut the beam back to the correct length. (depends on the end condition, this would be for a plain end with no end connections)

Word of caution here, if you do get a splice approved, make sure the EOR tells you where he will allow the splice to be....if it is close to a connection, he might ask that you move the splice further back down the beam and splice on a longer section.

Might better pose this question of repairing by buttering the end to the EOR...BEFORE you attempt any type of repair.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-16-2010 17:10
Another thought: again get approval before attempting any repairs.....but we have also received approval from the EOR to up the size of the clip angles to a beefier angle with a longer leg to allow for a 1" over hang vs the 1/2" that the beam connection was designed to have.
Parent - - By greek (*) Date 02-16-2010 17:20
Thanks for the info I didn't see anything in the D1.1 code on this.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-16-2010 17:51
This is kind of broad stretch, but AWS D1.1 Clause 5.26 deals with repairs to the base metal and speaks mostly of repairs of the welding but..... when you turn the page and look at 5.26.3, it talks about gaining the EOR's approval before making any repairs to the base material and specifically speaks about repairs other than those required by Clause 5.15...so I guess you could say that repairing the length would be a repair to the base material other than the one's described in 5.15. Because if you look at AWS D1.1 Clause 5.15, it talks about repairing, but deals with a Mill induced problem with the base material.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-16-2010 19:54
I think the answer is dependent on how the beam is being used. Is it going to be part of a welded moment connection? Is the end connection a bolted simple frame connection where the edge distance is affected? Does it land on a seat connection? Each situation may have a different answer or different solution to the problem.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-16-2010 20:51
put it on the beam stretcher...you might get a 1/2" out it it.

"They cut it twice and it's still too short".

We have had to do all the things listed above.  There are times depending on the application, that you might be able to leace as is, but it depends on the application.  If it were to have weld on clips on either end, if you extended each clip a 1/4" to make up for the half inch, that wouldn't be the end of the world but again that's only if you have weld on clips.
Chris
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-17-2010 00:40
flame bend the columns 1/4 each and call it a day.

I don't seriously suggest that, but we've gotten away with that stuff like that when time is getting short. as long as the bow falls within spec it's good right?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-16-2010 23:09
Get approval,Document everything.
NCR, Approved Repair procedure,Inspections.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 02-19-2010 03:04
The first thing I'd look at are the beam details.  For example, if the beam has shop welded framing angles at each end, say L3 x 3 x 5/16, a longer welded leg could be used to compensate for the short length... such as L3 1/2  x 3 x 3/8, or L4 x 3 x 3/8.  Framing angles typically have a 1/2" overhang at each end of the beam.  Since the beam is only 1/2" short, the overhang can be increased to 1" on one end, or split the difference at each end and have 3/4" overhang at each end. Either way, the longer leg would allow the same amount of weld to the beam web as the original angle.  
Another example would be if the beam has open web holes at each end.  If the holes are added after the cut, the holes could be moved out towards each end by 1/4".... meaning if the holes are detailed to have 1 1/2" edge distance at each end, the edge distance would be reduced to 1 1/4" at each end.  Any scenario would be subject to approval, but of the above scenarios, I've never had any of them to be rejected.  These are just a couple options.  There are many more.  The decision to splice should never be made without first looking at what the member is being used for, and ask yourself how you can make it work with minimal labor while maintaining structural integrity.
Parent - By nantong (**) Date 02-26-2010 13:21
Yes but do not weld in-situ.
- - By L_u_i_s Date 12-12-2019 19:14
Hello in case of connections, when we want to change the type of joint and we want to weld the joint to make it square and later simple bevel, we use the buttering because the thickness is 4" and not have material, so the problema is that we dont notify noting to customer.

5.25.3 Engineer's ApprovaI. Prior approval of the Engineer
shalI be obtained for repairs to base metal (other
than those required by 5.14), repair of major or delayed
cracks, repairs to ESW and EGW wilh internal defects,
or for a revised design to compensate for deficiencies.
The Engineer shall be notified before welded members
are cut apart

what do they say ?
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 12-13-2019 12:17
Luis,
Welcome to the Original AWS Welding Forum.
You are changing the design.  The end of the structure is no longer parent metal but whatever filler metal you are using for buttering.  You must get the Engineer's approval.  He is the voice of the Customer. He will determine if your "repair" is as good or better than the original joint.

Tyrone

PS. In the future, start a new post with your question.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Structural Steel Beam cut short