Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Boiler Operators License Exam
- - By awspartb (***) Date 02-17-2010 02:40
I know this is only somewhat related to welding but I was wondering if someone could help me out.  I've been repairing boilers for years and would like to become a licensed operator.  I'm talking heating boilers for large buildings.

I'm interested in obtaining an official Boiler Operators License and need some advice.  Are there any national licenses or certificates recognized by multiple states? Can I take courses online?  I'm in western NY state and would like to relocate elsewhere.  Any help greatly appreciated.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-17-2010 10:25
Depends what state, and sometimes city, you're in. There are presently @11 States that require a state Boiler Operator license, along with a number of municipalities, counties, etc. If you're in doubt about whether your state or city requires a license, contact the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors (614-888-8320) or the state agency that is responsible for inspecting boilers in your state. If you're in Ohio, you can go to www.steamworksllc.com and click on the Resources button, then the Boiler Operator / Stationary Steam Engineer licensing link. There's quite a bit of information there. You can also call the Ohio Division of Industrial Compliance at 614-644-2236 for details.
Here is a link for a Spokane Exam, Fee, information.
http://www.buildingspokane.org/Applications_New/Boiler%20Operator%20License%20&%20Fee%20Info.pdf
You have to be able to endure complete boredom. I enjoyed being a Boiler Operator on the Naval Ship especially when we were maneuvering, standard operation got to be a bore and when I pursued it when I got out of the Navy it was really boring as everything was auto. Jst needed a person to monitor, report and take water samples.
Good Luck
Marshall
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Boiler Operators License Exam