Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / getting my foot in the door?
- - By wjguy Date 02-17-2010 03:09
I have no prior welding experience and am looking to get into the field. I am a painter by trade and would like to get into a more stable industry.

If there is any pointers that you could give it would be a great help.

Thank You in advance.

Josh
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-17-2010 10:54
wjguy
Welcome to the Forum
A lot depends on your situation.
I started as a helper/fitter/gofer to two American Indian welders. They taught me more in the 2 years I worked with them than I can realize, Tricks of the Trade.
Now days they have places where you can go and pay them a bunch of money for a place to practice and if you are lucky an instructor that wants to train good welders.
A lot of community colleges have welding programs that are a lot cheaper than the welding schools and in my opinion are most times better.
Just my ΒΆΒΆ's
Good Luck
Again welcome to the Forum
Marshall
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 02-17-2010 15:22
Community college usually will give you the most bang for your buck.  If you like it get into a union apprenticeship with the pipefitters, ironworkers or boilermakers and they'll train you to weld on their dime.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-17-2010 21:11
Welcome to the AWS Welding Forum.

My only comment is to your statement about "would like to get into a more stable industry."   ????

Wouldn't we all!!!!  If that is the only reason for changing...be warned, our guys are having an extremely difficult time finding work currently.  I think you will find this is a trades wide problem at the present.

Now, if you seriously want to weld instead of paint, this is probably a very good time to consider a career change.  Get to school, get lots of practice, get some certs, and try to get to work. 

The guys have stated good advice.  Community colleges are a very good bet.  Trade schools aren't bad, but check them out.  While going to school, you could try to find a job as a helper in a shop or, as stated, find a union opening.  They have some good apprenticeship programs.

Good luck.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / getting my foot in the door?