Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / A number
- - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 02-17-2010 17:12
from where you can get the A number for different filler material
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 02-17-2010 18:32
A numbers are found in table QW-442 (p. 138). Section IX 2007.
Parent - - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 02-21-2010 15:46
ok but you can get from ASME sec 2c  or no
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 02-22-2010 03:27
I really don't know, to tell the truth. We don't have a Section II as we are not a vessel shop. It would make some sense for Section II to contain A numbers, as its the material section, but I know for certain that that reference I gave for Section IX is correct, and since A numbers are concerned with the composition of welding filler, it would make sense for anyone looking for A numbers to have access to Section IX. That is if you mean the same thing by A number as I just stated.
Parent - - By JM_VRCIC (*) Date 02-18-2010 13:06
Hi, don't take it the wrong way, but from a really fast CWI course. Take care.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-01-2010 18:49
A numbers are groupings for the ferrous metal weld deposits. In certain circumstances you can use the A number determined by the filler metal manufacturer. In other cases, such as when welding dissimilar metals, you have to send a section of the weld deposit out for chemical analysis and then see what A number it matches.

The surest way is to send a sample of all-weld metal extracted from the test plate weldment to a laboratory for chemical analysis. Then match the chemistry with the proper A number group per ASME Section IX.

Remember, P and S numbers are groupings of base metals with similar weldability. F numbers are groupings of filler metals, and A numbers are weld deposit chemistries.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / A number