Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / splice joint of backing ring
- - By bert lee (**) Date 02-19-2010 08:52
the splice joint (CJP) of backing ring has defects which appeared in the radiograph of welder qualification test - 6G.

radiograph shows satisfactory result on welded pipe except for incomplete penetration, porosities detected on splice joint of backing ring.

will you fail the welder? or reject the radiograph?

couldn’t find the answer in D1.1.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-19-2010 09:58 Edited 02-19-2010 10:00
Bert,
Good question - I initially thought they are outside the welded joint so would not be subject to inspection but then I saw this clause.

AWS D1.1 Clause 5.10.2 states "All joints in the steel backing shall be CJP groove weld butt joints meeting all the requirements of Section 5 of this code."

However, Section 5 is Fabrication and does not deal with acceptance criterias.

Did the welder doing the test weld the splice in the backing ring ?

Regards,
Shane
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-19-2010 13:43
Its a judgment call. If a possibility exists that the defects in the ring may obscure defects in the weld you have to reject. If not, I would say no. It is not part of the qualification test.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-19-2010 13:59 Edited 02-19-2010 14:14
Let me add to what Shane pointed out in AWS D1.1 Clause 5.10.2...Full length backing: Steel backing shall be made continuous for the full length of the weld.

...kinda hard to get around the splice in the backing ring, IMHO.

edit:  I know you are working to D1.1, but I was looking through D1.5 a few minutes ago, and they spell it out very clear about the continuous backing and how it must pass UT or RT "before" you are allowed to use the backing.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-19-2010 17:54
Lets make sure we are not confusing Fabrication stuff (Article 5) with Qualification stuff (Article 4), and the intent of one and the other. One is going to go into the structure, the other into a scrap bin.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-19-2010 18:01
Ah...yes this is true....I know the OP stated... "fail the welder or"...and I didn't pick up that it was a qualification test, I took it as a RT on the fabricated stuff.
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 02-19-2010 16:38
the splice joint of backing ring was welded by pipe fitter who prepared the test coupon (pipe).

the third party inspector rejected the radiograph because of interference of defect found on splice joint of backing ring.

according to him, he can consider it similar to film mark (water mark) found on the area of interest..... that need to be re shoot, or whatever, he don't care if the welder has to go for retesting as long as he can get a perfect radiograph.

thanks

bert
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-19-2010 18:03
sorry Bert...I read the title of the thread and ran off on a tangent.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-20-2010 02:16
Bert,
Why not remove the defective portion of the backing ring and re-readiograph ?.
The defects were made by the pipe fitter so are not attributable to the welder.
What diameter pipe ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By bert lee (**) Date 02-21-2010 12:50
not easy to remove Shane, the pipe is 6"dia.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / splice joint of backing ring