Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cert help
- - By fnjoey Date 02-22-2010 14:25
Hello everyone,

Need some help with getting certified. My back story, I'm self taught in MIG, been doing it for a few years now, and while I'm not pro, I'm not horrible at it. Last year, the company I work for really screwed me over and I realized how unhappy I was, and I'm going NO WHERE with this company (non industry). So I looked into welding, since I like doing and find it very fun, I figured why not make money doing something I like to do. So I found a local technical college that had an adult welding program on saturdays (my work schedule keeps me form going during the week). In the course description, they state at the end of the class (roughly 8 month class) you get certified. Awesome I think as that's what I want.  Well last week I found you don't get certified... I'm not to happy about it as I really need to start a career (I'm 32) and get my life together..  So now I'm kind of stuck on what to do next.. I've learned stick (ARC) in this class, learned some more MIG and now I'm learning TIG which I REALLY love doing although it's difficult.  I guess my question is, what do I get certified in? I've been browsing through the site and noticed there are a TON of different certs, so now I'm really confused.. I would liek to get a welding job come JUNE, but now I feel it isn't going to happen.. any help to point me in the right direction is appreciated.

Joe.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-22-2010 14:56
Welcome to the forum Joey

Much depends on your local job market.  If you are planning to stay where you are, than you need to focus your training on the type of work that may become available.

Do some research on your local manufacturing, construction, machine tool types of employers and find out what they are donig... What processes?  Which Alloys? all that stuff.. 

Certs almost never pass between one employer and another so their value is often limited to getting your foot into the door of another place who will turn right around and test you again..  Thats just how it is in the welding world.  Many manufacturing folks will test you without you having a cert to begin with.. others won't

So two choices really...  Look at the economy locally and focus your training and cert efforts on what is out there.  Or pick the process that you love most and be willing to move to the work...  Eventually most welders are going to become proficient in many processes.
Parent - - By fnjoey Date 02-22-2010 17:08
Thank you for the information. I like TIG the most as it's more challenging (to me at least) and it keeps me interested..   I'll do some research on my local market and see whats going on around here, I'm single, no kids, no mortgage, so moving isn't a problem.. I would like to go for TIG certs in Aluminum, chromolly, and stainless.. As it opens up the automotive area (race cars etc.) for me, which is more my passion then anything else, but I will do ANY welding job I come across as long as the money is equal to or more then what I'm making now.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-26-2010 21:54
At the school I went to and of which I am teaching at right now we'll have the students do a 3g stick and then zip it off to the lab for an x-ray. They'll get a piece of paper that says that the piece was welded using xxxx rod, this position and that it passed. Good little paper to prove that you have done it once but as Lawrence said you'll likely be tested for the job your applying for. As far as the MIG goes they'll also do a 3g upward travel and when we(teachers) have watched them run a "good one" we will have them cut out the stips as stated by AWS and then we are set up to do face and root bends. If they pass then the head teacher fills out a form stating that they passed, this position, this wire, setting this and that and so on. I think testing is good in a way because then you can find out if the weld you laid down will pass instead of putting it in there and assuming it is good through and through. The trick then would be, doing it again on a new machine, in a strange shop with a welder foreman and a 25+ year experienced welder leaning over your shoulder. Then it's not your ability that kills ya, it's the nerves!! Good luck!!!

Shawn
Parent - - By fnjoey Date 02-27-2010 20:37
Could I send something in to get tested?  While my TIG welds look good and seem to have good penetration, I would like to know if they are actually good.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-28-2010 18:05
You can submit your test plates to any testing lab for evaluation.

Employers are looking for individuals that have the proper skills sets to do the type of welding they do. The Human Resource Department act as gatekeepers to weed out those individuals that do not meet the company's needs. Most Human Resource (an oxymoron if I ever saw one) are not familiar with welder certifications. They do not understand that most welder certifications are not transferable from one employer to another. Your resume may be pushed aside if you do not have experience in their industry. They do not understand that your welding skills are easily transferred from one industrial sector to another. However, you may get lucky and interview with someone from HR that believes all welders are the same and they will not recognize the different skills sets required for SMAW, GMAW, or GTAW. That will work to your advantage.

Weld your test plates (or pipe if you have the required proficiency). Submit the plates to the NDT lab for evaluation. If you are looking to weld structural steel, have the test plates evaluated to AWS D1.1. If you are interested in working for a company welding pipe or pressure vessels, have the samples (pipe is best) evaluated to ASME Section IX. If you are interested in aerospace welding you can have your plates evaluated to AWS D17.1. If you are interested in working on structural steel use carbon steel samples. If you want to work on pressure piping or vessels, weld carbon steel or stainless steel coupons.  If you are interested in welding for aerospace applications you could weld stainless steel or aluminum samples.

You will have to tell the NDT lab the following information:
Your name
Welding standard you want the samples be be tested to (AWS D1.1, D17.1, or ASME Section IX).
Welding Process
Base metal
Thickness
Filler metal
Shielding gas
Test position(s)

The testing lab will provide you with a report stating whether you passed or failed to the welding standard you told them to use.

Good luck.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cert help