Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding bed
- - By cdd (**) Date 02-24-2010 01:44
Does anyone have a single wheel welding rig? Im looking at building a bed for a single wheel and would like to look at what others have done, and how well the single wheel holds up to the weight of the bed, machine and all the tools, plus if you pull a camper, how it does? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By tim105 (**) Date 02-25-2010 00:02
My only suggestion would be that if you intend to load up your truck with all the tools and a trailer, is to make sure you have a good set of tires on the truck.
If you have a blowout, it might get rough trying to stop the truck.
Parent - - By KFab (**) Date 02-25-2010 05:15
hay cdd what kinda swd truck u thinking about rigging out.  if u decide to make a bed, consider making it modular so in the future u can add on some fenders and complete the dually look.
Parent - - By cdd (**) Date 02-25-2010 14:42
I have dodge single wheel long wheel base. I have had it rigged out for about two years and am getting tired of working out of the stock "tub" bed. That moduler is a good Idea. I have been looking at building an aluminum bed to cut down on the weight, and alo add an extra leaf or two for strength. I already have airbags and love them and I have never bottomed out.
Parent - - By KFab (**) Date 02-25-2010 17:58
i did an add aleaf gain 3 inches but i think a full sleaf spring replacement is a better idea...  by the way the adaptors only cost me  700 my concerns was that the sterling axle is a little bit smaller then the dually axle that comes on the ford.. besides the springs.. change those and u have a 1 ton..  aluminum is exspensive the only thick steel on  min is the rear and top plate every thing else is 1/8th.  it took me 4 months of  4 hours a day to make mine.  Have  you had issues with air bags>?. iam currently thinking to get timbrens,  which are better for a rig truck? and if i get timbrens do i keep them loaded at all times sence i have 2k plus weight on the rear anyways?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-25-2010 18:21
I have Timbrens on Both my Rigs. I have had Airbags in the past. Timbrens are the ONLY way to fly !  PLUS they are half the price of Airbags
Parent - By cdd (**) Date 02-25-2010 18:23
I have never bottomed out even before I put airbags on. The airbags i have now I have had about a year. They arent timbrens but I have heard those are the best. The ones i have are from Jc Whitney I think they are called air lift but they are a little less expensive and I havent had any problems with them. I usually keep about 20 Lbs of pressure on them at all times and when I hook on my camper I bump them up to 25 or 30.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-25-2010 21:06
I have a welding bed for a single wheel truck for sale
Parent - - By cdd (**) Date 02-25-2010 23:32
How much? and do you have pics? cddanna@hotmail.com
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-26-2010 05:55
email with pics sent
- - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-24-2010 02:02
You want to put a welding bed on a unicycle? :-)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-24-2010 02:22 Edited 02-24-2010 02:24
Why not??? Sounds like a wonderful way to advertise to prospective customers by showing off how "balanced" they are as well as displaying their diverse talents/skills they're capable of - ROTFLMAO!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By cdd (**) Date 02-24-2010 03:04
serious inquiries only..................Oh Yea LMAO
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 02-24-2010 03:40
i have an 08 f-350 diesel single rear wheel truck.  boxes top and bottom, two sets of bottles, 300ft of lead on reels, you name it , it's there.  i have airbags and the truck rides fine. if i knew how to post pics on here i would post them.
- - By KFab (**) Date 02-24-2010 10:00
As long is it works for you then its good... dont worry about all those other hands we all had to start somewhere.. here is my first..  bottle behind the machine. tool box and jacks in the back.. was pretty cramped.  torch was in the box and leads were on a crappy reel that squeaked so loud it was embarrassing.

and the second..  still working on it.. but not having a work bed or a dually made me really want one.. so i saved up and turned the same truck into this one :).

some advise .... dont spend too much on a single wheel rig.. dually handle way better.. i dont sway as much as i used too and i feel safer in it too.. not to mention i must of bottomed out so many times on my leaf springs they didnt quite look like leaf springs and resembled more like bundled up strap with alot less leaf...       good luck.   
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 02-24-2010 15:19
Did you have to use spacers or anything on the rear axle?

Chris
Parent - - By KFab (**) Date 02-24-2010 18:02
4 inch adapter and 1 1/2 spacer...  billet aircraft aluminum.   but the problems were aligning them properly on the tire... it just cant be done i have drive line vibration ... but not too bad.
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 02-24-2010 19:39
what size and brand of tires are those?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-24-2010 20:55
John, Were you watching StarWars when you built that Bed ?
Parent - - By KFab (**) Date 02-24-2010 23:28
I had help with the design, my 6 year old... signed off on it...  and yes starwars, transformers with a little bit of Madmax.  the tires are hankook .. dynapro mt.
Parent - - By hotrodtodd (**) Date 02-25-2010 00:55
Is that an angled extension behind the factory frame and if so how long is it or are my eyes playing tricks on me ?
Parent - - By KFab (**) Date 02-25-2010 05:07
ahahah yes ur right it come out another 2 and a half foot, i wanted 4 foot boxes to keep my levels in so i extended the bed..  there is even a hatch on the left that bolts on and off so u can get in to do all of the electrical and everthing front of the fenders is bolt on :)  so its almost 13 foot bed  and i think iam 9 feet wide...  some times  i wish i had a single cab with a small bed... but i figured i like rig yards the most, and more room for tools. i looked at over a hundred rig trucks and then came up with this design .. there was a truck posted here a few months ago white dodge same rims.. sweet pipeline truck..  and the angled rear came from a pipeliners rig that runs outa Arizona his plates say rigpay... i am thinking of adding a saddle bag bbq pit behind the fender... i need a pit damn it.
Parent - By stkwldr (**) Date 02-25-2010 21:16
You must be talking about the rig truck owned by Performance 53.  I looked at his website and that is one kick @&& truck.
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 02-26-2010 04:14
i own the white dodge with the rockstar wheels...thanks for the compliment!  you have a sweet rig as well!
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 02-25-2010 17:53 Edited 02-26-2010 01:36
i want to watch him pull a bumper trailer.  the receiver is 4ft under the truck.
Parent - By KFab (**) Date 02-25-2010 18:00
i was going to extend that under the rear .. but ill be a hotel dog for now .
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 02-26-2010 00:15
or just buy goose necks and fith wheels
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding bed