Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Schedule 160 socket weld
- - By Oliver1850 Date 02-27-2010 01:07 Edited 02-27-2010 01:11
What is the correct technique for welding a socket joint (fillet) 5G position on 3" schedule 160 pipe (SMAW)  Is it a weave pattern or stringer beads?  How many passes?  Mild steel pipe.
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 02-27-2010 19:15
What process? GTAW, SMAW, ect.? What does your wps say?
Parent - - By Oliver1850 Date 02-27-2010 19:41
SMAW........I have no guidance at this moment for the weld
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 02-27-2010 21:18
Use the search form on this site. There are some good threads that state what certain codes say. Thay will help you figure what size weld that you need.
As far as how to make the weld: I have no experience making socket welds with SMAW process. If I had to using 7018, I would weld from bottom up and use stringers.
I'm sure some with more experience and book smarts will give you more helpfull info/assistance.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 03-01-2010 02:31
keep it under a 1/2" fillet unless you want to PWHT. I would do a root, then a pass over that, last a 2 bead stringer cap with 3/32" rods.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-01-2010 18:42
The correct weld size is based on the thickness of the branch pipe wall and the particulars of the piping code you are working with. The size will vary from one piping code to the next. The need to post weld heat treat is also dependent of the particular pipe code you are working with.

Whether you use stringers or weaves and any limitations on the weave is dependent on the piping code with regards to the need to meet Charpy Impact requirements. If CI is a requirement, you will have to control the heat input, which in turn will determine whether stringers or weaves can be used. The travel speed is the parameter most affected by the decision to use stringers (low heat input) or weave beads (higher heat input). Section IX nor the piping code will typically limit welding to either stringers or weaves. That is a decision that should be made based on the parameters used when welding the test coupon that passed all the requisite tests and recorded on the PQR. The WPS for production should be based on the "lessons learned" when welding the test coupon that passed all the required tests per Section IX and any modifications required by the particular piping code you are using.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Schedule 160 socket weld