Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Odd Lay Off
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-27-2010 13:34
Got a call from one of the gas companies that I have been doing service connections, stations for last week and first thought when I saw who was calling was, "yahoo!! Gas money!!" Asked how I was doing, told him been kinda busy with some handrail jobs but good to hear from them. Well, he begins to tell me that they have a new mayor, not sure where it is going at this point but ok. He said the new mayor is wanting to do some changing and wants to get two guys in the department certified to weld gas pipe. Oh boy, that sucks. They asked if I could come out and give some tips and pointers to the guys they had selected.

I went out the next day, "on the clock" sorta speak. One guy has seen it done by the welder that used to work for them and the other built the legs for billboards years ago. Stayed there most of the day, demonstrating, checking out their welds, pointing out what can't be done, what to look for etc. I'm thinking the department just figures they'll do a test in the shop and send it off. From what I understand they want to get out as cheap as possible on the testing for their specimans so they want to do all low pressure, no tensiles. I suggested that since these guys have never done it before and lack A LOT of hood time that they should do the full workup, nick, tensile, root/face bends etc. Was met with some opposition on this proposal but I know I have done some high pressure stuff with them, 750psi off a transmission line feeding a regulator station. They did alright, I guess but nothing worth testing. Worked on 4" pipe but their wps stated they needed to test on 6" pipe as well as a 1" on 2" branch, more or less a knock off is what seems typical around here. At the end of the day told them I have given them all that I can and could talk til I was blue in the face about how to do it but basically it was up to them to pass the test. They told me the last welder stayed there two years and quit because he was loosing his ability, don't do much welding. I guess in the year that I have been doing it for them I have welded 2-3 service connections and one station. Barely worth the expense of testing and wps on my part, not to mention insurance premiums. I thought they had a pretty good deal with me, always got to them quick, got the job done quick and professionally. Mayor is most likely one of them "I've welded on my daddy's tractor" kind of folks and figure's anybody can do it right out of the box. I also told them about welding on live lines, service connections and what to watch out for, rusty pitted pipe, don't want to blow thru and so on. They both looked at me with big eyes. One guy's not really wanting to do this, if he don't pass the test then I suppose he won't have to! LOL!! Just hope this new mayor knows what he's doing, don't want to hear about these two guys on the news one day, worked with one guy a bunch and kinda know the other so as always safety is a concern for me.

Well, done with my rant.....
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 02-27-2010 15:19
I think we will start to see this more and more as the bean counters and the big wigs running the show began to try and find ways to control there budgets. My thoughts on this are that they don't understand what it takes to keep it in house and will take a year to see if it works or not. Around my area the pipeline contractors are doing the same thing there buying up all the rental outfits engine drives and hiring single hands they have a huge turnover and production is about half IMHO but they think it's cheaper. Again it takes time to learn how much it takes to keep these guys in tools and maintain equipment, they soon learn that most NOT ALL of the single hands care very little for company tools. There is also the thought as stated in many post that anyone is a welder or thinks there is nothing to it just running beads. We recently had our CWI on site for UT testing on a bunch of moment frames for the Bureau of Reclamation in other words the feds after all the testing one of the BOR inspectors stated that he had never seen a weld inspection with zero repairs. My only comment was well there are a lot of welders out there but very few have any idea what there doing. It felt good after hearing for weeks I wish I made what a welder makes.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-27-2010 23:37
That's good to hear Johny, it's guys like you that take that kind of pride in your work that I strive to be like. That was my little bit of azz kissing!! LOL!! But honestly, that's how I want to be, no problems and top notch. I figure these guys will bust a few tests, cost money to do so and then OJT because I told them they need to practice, only machine they have is at the gas department. They didn't even have any rod to practice with while I was there! That shows how long it's been since they actually had anyone there welding.
Parent - By Joe Davidson (**) Date 02-28-2010 04:04 Edited 02-28-2010 04:06
Just a thought I had while reading this and maybe someone with a little more knowledge would know. Don't they also have to deal with government regulations such as DOT audits and such? I always get nervous when I am getting ready to weld on a live line and find out the guy on the other side has never done it before and has no idea of the dangers. I tell my wife all the time smoking isn't going to kill me, it will be some greenhorn that doesn't know what he is doing. I have had to step in when watching a rookie sandblast over an anomaly that has 80% material loss and he is trying to dig out the corrosion with the sandblaster by holding it right at the bad spot. Just kind of scary if you ask me. Just have to pray that no one gets hurt. Sad when companies care more about the bottom line than safety. No replacing a seasoned veteran.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Odd Lay Off