Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Determining Deposition Rates?
- - By Brian F. (*) Date 06-28-2002 12:15
What is the procedure for determining deposition rates? Is there a specific formula, or do I just need to determine the electrode consumption and the time required for the weld? Thanks in advance.

Brian
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 06-28-2002 12:38
What process?
SAW and GMAW usually has a wire feed monitor in Inches per Minute that can be coverted to pounds per hour.

For GTAW (manual) and SMAW you can weigh out a 5 or 10 pounds of rod and weld for what ever time then weigh the remainder.

But yes there are formulas, depending on your process and application.
Parent - By Brian F. (*) Date 06-28-2002 12:49
Sorry about the lack of information in the first post, the processes will be GMAW in the horizontal and vertical positions (spray arc) and using SAW to make circumferential and horizontal welds.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-28-2002 13:41
When I am doing a WPQR test, I count the number of passes to fill a joint and determine the cross sectional area of the groove. I then figure the area per pass, multiply by 12 inches and by .2836 (weight of steel per cubic inch) to calculate the weight of weld per foot per pass. I get the time and length for each pass so I can calculate the average travel speed and then the pounds per hour.
From what I've seen most people don't bother to time each pass or record the length of a WPQR. I do it to satisfy my curiosity and to have the data for the occasional picky customer. Also I can better estimate the "operator factor" because most data doesn't include time for interpass cleaning, coffee breaks, and so forth. (Usually the production managers forget that part of welding.)
I have found, so far, that electrode manufacturer's published data is very close to my results on the FCAW, SAW, and SMAW consumables we have used.
So actually, what you need is the weight of deposited weld metal and the time. If you have the electrode consumption weight only, then you can determine how much electrode you need for similar welds, but it isn't the actual deposition rate.
You may not have wanted to get into it that far, but I hope it helps.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By Brian F. (*) Date 06-28-2002 13:50
Thanks for the information, I'll take as many details as I can get : )

Brian
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 06-28-2002 15:41
If you are welding for long continuous periods
For .032" (1/32") wire (solid) use .0002 lb x IPM over.2836 x 60

1/16" is double that and 3/32", well you get the picture.

Your operating techniques and conditions have a lot of effect also.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-28-2002 16:08
Brian,

I have a visual basic program I wrote that will help you calculate the volume of a given weld joint based on joint geometry. It will also compare the cost of two welding processes if you have all of the variables.

It's not fancy but it may be of use and costs nothing.

Let me know and I will e-mail you the link to where it can be downloaded.

Gerald Austin
IUka, Mississippi

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Determining Deposition Rates?