Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / E71T-GS
- - By david bean (**) Date 03-03-2010 15:20
Greetings,
I just recieved a call from our field crew.  They are using a innershield .035 wire they are claiming they need weld procedure specs for this.

The site inspector is asking for procedures!\

They just started using this wire and i am wondering if it is pre Qualified?

I seem to remeber something about a -GS in table 3.1 D1.1??

I just wanted to look for some opionions on this before i get to the office.

thanks
David
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2010 15:34 Edited 03-03-2010 15:43
EXXT-GS indicates the electrode has not been approved by the committee for inclusion in A5.20.

The tensile strength has been established and the S indicates it is intended for single pass welds.

I would say that it is not prequalified. EXXT-GS could be for specific applications that may not be appropriate for structural steel due to any number of reasons. The yield point could be anything, it could lack sufficient ductility to pass the required bend tests, it may not pass radiography, or it could meet all the requirements of A5.20, but it is still under consideration and it may be classified in the upcoming revision of A5.20.

You did not state what welding code you are working to, but D1.1 would be one of the few that permits the use of prequalified welding procedures. If that is the case, this electrode is not approved, so you would have to qualifiy the WPS before using it for production welding in the shop or the field.

It looks like the site inspector is on his game and is correct in questioning the use of the electrode your company is providing to their field welders.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Hughes Welding (*) Date 03-05-2010 08:14
Al
Where did you get the information reguarding the specification on this electrode?  Just wondering if I need to get the Specification or other for this.  I looked in B2.1 and D1.1 and didn't find this.
Thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-05-2010 12:14
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-05-2010 20:38
This is the type of information contained in the filler metal specifications such as A5.1, A5.18, A5. 28, etc.

The clauses I attached were found in the annex of the A5.20 specification.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Hughes Welding (*) Date 03-07-2010 07:01
Thanks John and Al Need to look into getting that spec.
- - By eekpod (****) Date 03-03-2010 17:51
Wow, I have never heard of such a catagory, I learned something new today.

So from a D1.1 structural building point of view, that wire is basically junk and can't be used.  I wonder if this is some type of generic filler wire?

I'm curious who the manufacturer is, or what it's intended purpose is for?  certianly not code approved projects.

Chris
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-03-2010 18:54
Most often this is the stuff you find at the hardware store.

It also sometimes comes stock with the little 110 v  mig/fcaw units.

I've used some of the Corex E71TGS with a Hobart Handler 110 mig and it works surprisingly well for garage type stuff...  But each brand may perform differently.

But it's not generally used for code compliant work.. I would think the time and expense to run a PQR for the stuff would make it easier to simply use a code approved electrode.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-04-2010 18:07
Back on 7/30/09 in the 'Technical' section there was a thread titled 'FCAW Classifications' that asked a similar question. 

I opened mouth and inserted foot and got some real good lessons from Al, Hg, Shane, and Henry (probably a couple of others).  There is some good info in that thread about the 'G' and 'S' designators.

May be worth referencing for those interested.  I don't know how to attach the link to go there from here.  I found it by going to the 'Search' function and entering 'GS'.  Only found two results so it wasn't too bad to find.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-07-2010 16:43
This may one that you wre referring to.

www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=160263;hl=A5.20

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-07-2010 21:00 Edited 03-07-2010 21:10
See if I can make this work

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=158111;hl=%26%2339%3bGS%26%2339%3b

Now, I'll post and then see if it takes me to the right place.

Thanks Al.

Have a Great Day,  Brent

edit: I'm going to leave it this way.  It takes you to Hg's post in the thread I was referring to.  Numbers are different from the one you posted Al.  Probably a good one as well.  Thanks.

Okay, yours takes you to the same one, just my post instead of Hg's.  One of these days I'll figure these things out.  Thanks again Al.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / E71T-GS