Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plate test
- - By overthehill (*) Date 06-28-2002 14:09
What kind of fit up is recommended for the plate test with back up bar?
Feathered edge or small landing? How wide of a gap?

Thanks
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-28-2002 16:12
For SMAW I prefer no land and a root opening the width of the electrode and flux coating. 45 Degree inculed angle.

FCAW 3/16" Minimum, No Land, 45 degree included angle.

Just my opinion.

G Austin
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-28-2002 21:00
If you're talking a test for AWS D1.1 or D1.5, there is no land and there's a 1/4" space at the root. Test plates are 1" thick or 3/8" thick and prepped with 45 degree included angle bevels. I think ASME uses the same prep but I don't know that for sure. You'll have to check the applicable code to be certain.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By jffluxcore (**) Date 07-08-2002 20:38
How long and wide is the plate for aws D 1.1,it 1" thick. how long does it take to weld it overhead with 1/8" or 5/32" rods? Thanks Jim
Parent - By stich585 (*) Date 07-08-2002 23:07
It takes me aproximately 2 1/2 hours to do both of my coupons (3G & 4G) on 3/8 plate. Yes the root opening per aws D1.1 is 1/4" and the rod is 1/8" 7018. As far as how long it depends on what method they are going to use to test them. In my experience if it is a visual test the coupon should be 12" long. In a bend, shatter or X-ray the coupon is 6"-8" long depending if you can cut off your start and finish. The only time I have had to certify unlimited (1" plate) it took me eight hours, but I milked it for the pay.

p.s. If the QC is letting you set up your own coupons, I recomend that you knock the flux off 1/8" rod and use that to gap your plate. Then use 3/32" to run your root. Turn the heat up a little because generally the QC will want to see a nice puprple burn on the outside of the backing plate. Also, if you set up your 3G and 4G and alternate between the two, it will give your 3G a chance to cool off preventing dropping your puddle. In my experience it also impresses the inspector.
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 07-09-2002 00:32
4 hrs for me on 1" plate, open root 4G. i seem to remember overhead going a little faster than 3G. 3G = 1/8" rod, 4G = 5/32". i usually run the root pass w/ a rod that's 1/32" smaller than what i plan on running for the fill passes when i'm welding w/ a backing plate. for all the open roots i used 1/8" E6010 5p+.
Parent - - By overthehill (*) Date 07-14-2002 13:59
For the AWS test with back up bar, are the pieces typically tacked in the bevel or on the backside? Also, is it typical that the maximum width of any single bead is limited? How wide? 5 times diameter of rod?
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 07-14-2002 19:12
they're tacked on the back side and on the front side outside of the bevel. i don't recall any limit to the size of the beads...but keep in mind that you can't make them too big because you're welding out of position in 3G and 4G. i'd say no bigger than 3 times the size of the rod. they say stringer beads are better anyway for multi pass welds. it keeps the chance of slag inclusions low.
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 07-15-2002 13:19
Going back to your first question....the test joint configuration will depend on what WPS you are being tested to....if you are testing to a prequalified joint using a prequalified process on plate then you will follow the test plate procedures of figure 4.21 in the AWS D1.1-02 code for unlimited thickness and figure 4.30 for limited thickness....Both of these figures have a 45 degree included angle, no land, and a 1/4" root opening....As far as the weave width unless it is specified on the WPS then it is per manufactures recomendations (Lincoln does not have a specified maximum weave width)....AWS D1.1-02 does have some limitations on weld size listed on table 3.7 for prequalified WPS's.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plate test