Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SS questions and comercial buildings!!!! help
- - By KFab (**) Date 03-04-2010 02:40
HI yall i have some questions iam unsure of maybe some of yall can help me out.  There is a job comming up for me where they want me to weld 15000 SS stanchions to carbon steel on the 30ish floor of a building.   I was thinking mig the stainless depending on the size of the stanchions but 30ish floors up (cost wise).. would i be better with a few cases of 309 3/32 rod and an inverter.   and which way is cost effective, i may have to supply consumables.

Has anyone ever had to ditch there truck and use a briefcase when doing commercial buildings?  or should i some how incorporate my truck into this seance they are paying me for the use of my rig.. so that would be 400 feet of lead.
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 03-04-2010 03:29 Edited 03-04-2010 12:57
If you are inside out of the wind you might consider the Miller Passport. It has a setting for stainless wire. I have never used it with SS but it is my preferred welder on thin steel. The Passport is designed to weld with CO2 and I think welds better with CO2 than 75-25. So CO2 would be easier to carry up than argon mix. Also, it will run off 110 or 220. Of course it will burn hotter with 220v. The only thing that would make the Passport better would be if it had more power.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SS questions and comercial buildings!!!! help