Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stainless steel nuts
- - By bsh117 Date 03-04-2010 19:09
Are stainless steel nuts weldable?

I"m looking to weld a stainless steel nut to a stainless steel rod.  I'm also not sure what kind of capacity I would get for the weld or even if a stainless steel nut is weldable.  Would it still be the same as steel... .928 x weld size x length?

Thanks!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-04-2010 20:09
It depends on the specific alloy and what you ordered when you purchased them.

If you didn't specify a particular alloy there is a good chance you received nuts made from 303 alloy. Type/grade 303 is a free machining alloy with high sulfur and/or selenium. Both are LMPC that cause cracking problem to the extent I would classify it as unweldable.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-04-2010 20:10
Yes, stainless steel nuts are weldable, but to answer your questions you must say what grade of stainless is it, and, to answer your question regarding weld size and length, you must say the nut diameter: a 1/8 inch nut is one thing, a 2 inches nut is another.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
- - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-04-2010 20:54
Sure they're weldable.  Ask yourself what grade of stainless is the rod and what grade of stainless is the nut.  Example; 308 for the rod and 316 for the nut.  You might try GTAW with a 308 filler metal and argon gas. 

Keith
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-06-2010 07:24
As said above you must KNOW the grade of the nuts (and the base metal) if you want to weld them......some grades are practically guaranteed to crack out with minimal stress.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stainless steel nuts