Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Tube Question
- - By jd369 (**) Date 03-04-2010 20:25
In reviewing D17.1 I have a question in regards to tube welds. The way that I interpret the specifcation is that square tubing would not be classified as a tube form.
The only reason I have come to this conclusion is that 4.3.3.1 (3) refers to O.D. which square tube does not have. AWS 3.0 does not have a definition for "Tube".
Would you all agree that square tubing is not considered a "tube" form in the AWS D17.1
specification?
Regards
Jim
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-04-2010 22:14
Jim,

Simple answer to your question, from my point of view, NO.

If I order 2" square tube steel (HSS) I am going to get a 'tube' that has a 2" OD measurement on four sides.  I also specify what wall thickness I want.  But, I do not ask for a particular ID.

Pipe is ordered by ID and schedule which is nominal not firm.  Round (HSS) tube is ordered as square or rectangular by OD and wall thickness.

When you look to D1.1, I know you are referencing a different D code, annex K defines 'tubular' as including cylindrical but appears to primarily include square and rectangular.  The welder quals and other sections also give you set ups for both square or cylindrical for testing and fabrication. 

While I am in no way speaking for AWS, because of the continuity they generally apply to the majority of definitions and standards I would have to say that 'tube' includes square, rectangular, and cylindrical. 

But, I also do not have the code you are working to.  I could be totally off base.  Just my two tin pennies worth from your statement that square tube does not have an OD.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Tube Question