Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wellheads
- - By weaver (***) Date 03-09-2010 02:35
So i put another wellhead on today, the cellar was full of concrete, mud and water.  i went and rented a trash pump and we cleaned it out.  does everyone have to clean out the cellar before the weld up the bowls?. usually i don't have to but this company man is from texas ,are things done differently down south? regards  shannon
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 03-09-2010 12:55
I add 100/hr to my ticket if I have to do any digging or cleaning. Sure Ill clean it out or get my helper to do it and charge them for every minute, Im more then happy to do it too! They figured out real quick that it was cheaper to have the worms do the cleaning. All my customers know this so when I get out on a job they have it all cleaned out and ready (most of the time) I do have to wait on them sometimes though. I think that company man was playin you a little. Dont let those guys push you around either. I sometimes think its like a status thing with those guys to see what they can get you to do for a check.
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 03-10-2010 00:30
and the wild thing is the company man is a friend of mine.  he is very old school, but usually very nice.. but thinks that welders should clean out the work space.  oh well the ticket is fairly large, so we will see.  the other rigs i work for usually have the cellar clean, just another day...
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-10-2010 12:11
Well it has been a little while for me but it was always the worm and the chain hand down there preparing for the welder. Another good reason to be the derrick hand. :-)

jrw159
- - By CK Welding (**) Date 03-09-2010 03:44
The rig should have its own trash pump on site.  At least every one that I ever worked on had one.  They allso have saw dust and wood chip that they put in the mud. If there pump dosn't work or they don't have one make those rig pigs muck it out with shovles and soak all the rest of with saw dust then cover it with wood chips.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 03-09-2010 03:48
usually thats what happens.  this was done by a surface rig. (the drilling rig wasn't there) im wondering if all the other welders clean up before they work.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-09-2010 07:14
damn near everytime i went to weld a head they werent ready when i got there and the roughnecks would have to dig out the cellar and get all the water out there wasnt any saw dust but they would get empty bags for me to lay on they usually had to dig at least a 4x4 hole for my big ass to get into they hated it when i rolled up lol on occassion i would get to go to the rig that had a cement cellar which wasnt so bad just pump the water out and stand up and weld the head but i never had to rent a pump i hope you added it to the ticket
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-09-2010 07:16
i dont clesn nothing i make the roughnecks do it or the pusher does i get paid to weld not dig in the mud
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-09-2010 23:20
I'd be willing to bet Cactus has some good stories about this subject !!!!!!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-10-2010 02:16 Edited 03-10-2010 02:43
As a Matter of Fact while I was in PA I put a head on for Cheif Energy. They sucked out the water and I THOUGHT the bottom was hard. WRONG ! I sunk up to my waste. To late I was wet AND COLD and in the cellar so I welded it out. BUT they paid for it. I just took on a new Company today who has 64 holes to punch. I will be doing all of the Nipple ups and downs as well as the Heads. Part of the deal is the Cellar WILL BE CLEANED BY ROUGHNECKS!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-10-2010 03:09
I think things are about the same all over ........I have never done a "wellhead" and or pump, just boiler and pressurized pipe stuff.   But I remember watching the store and going out on calls with heavy equipment.....the regular customers always pressure washed, wiped down or what have you a large area round the repair.......A $20 weld job on a bushhog can turn into $150 if I got to clean it....same kind a thing with a bucket, set of tracks, or a boom.   If I had to stand in water or remove insulation on a boiler joint...you bet they paid dearly for it.  You tend to think that people would realize that but they don't, they must be taught thru their wallet!!  I rarely use auto mechanics, but when I do, be it a transmission guy or a front end guy or what have you.....I bring my vehicle in clean...inside and out and underneath....they do appreciate it and charge accordingly.

Tommy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wellheads