Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 303 stainless?
- - By thetraininglink (*) Date 03-09-2010 16:31
Have any of you had success in welding 303 stainless?  What alloy would you recommend to TIG weld to deal with the crack sensitive nature of this high sulpher stainless, and any tips for success is greatly appreciated.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-09-2010 18:05
If the HAZ is cracking all I can say is keep the heat input and interpass temps as low as possible.
If this don't do it, nothing else I can think of will.
As far as the weld metal is concerned Obewans suggestion is better than anything else I can come up with.
Parent - By AceMet (*) Date 03-09-2010 18:50
Hey Rick,  best to you.  Nickel does not do well with either S or Se so use a filler with high amounts of ferrite.  You may even consider a 409 filler metal.  Keep heat input down.
This is not going to be a high quality weld.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-10-2010 23:47
Generally 303 is considered unweldable due to free machining alloys added. Which great increase the risk of hot cracking. Any techniques used to eliminate hot cracking would also be useful in reducing the cracking chances on 303.  Such as a convex weld bead. no concave weld craters etc.

perhaps the much more successful route, but the one least tried is to use a low dilution butter pass with a highly crack resistant filler then weld as normal on top of the filler.  I.E limit dilution with the base metal as much as possible.  I couldn't recommend a filler off the top of my head though. I would pick something over alloyed and something with a high ferrite number which would help in reducing cracking

In order to perform a "butter" pass a low penetration process would be used.  GMAW-S has had great success, as well as low amperage GTAW.  The butter pass(es) need to be of sufficient thickness to prevent the normal passes from repenetrating into the base material.  Once both surfaces of the joint are sufficiently buttered.  Welding can take place as normal.

This is an often used technique to weld incompatible base materials by using a compatible filler and limiting dilution.
- - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-09-2010 16:45
We have had some success welding 303 but it was not with fillets or highly stressed welds subject to shrinkage stress problems when cooling.

I have heard that it is the selenium that is the worry with 303 and hot cracks.  It is also free machining like the sulphur containing stainless alloys.

312 fillers are known for helping prevent hot cracks.  That would be my suggestion.
Parent - By SWP (**) Date 03-10-2010 14:49
As mentioned above, 312 may help due to higher ferrite content.
- By cfrancis (**) Date 03-12-2010 19:02
I had a project where I had to GMAW weld on 303. I tried to have it changed but the customer would not change it. It was a Flare-bevel weld and over 50% of them would crack down the centerline. The only way I was able to solve it was to weld it with ER-312 to get the ferrite % up high enough.
Hope that helps  ( 312 is very pricey as well.)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 303 stainless?