Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Protection of welds
- - By Eztomahawk Date 03-11-2010 14:14
Esteemed group,

I am trying to find out if there is a code or standard that requires welds to be protected from corrosion?  Or is it an industry standard or just workmanship?

In AWS D1.1-81 3.11.2 it states that, “Welded joints shall not be painted until after work has been completed and accepted.”  I could have overlooked the section that requires the paint, which is why I am asking for help.  I know it’s an old version, but it’s all we have in the office.

I appreciate any assistance in this question.

Thank you,

Joey Rodriguez, Sr.

RCID Building & Safety
www.rcid.org
www.linkedin.com/in/joeyrodriguezsr
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-11-2010 14:30
I work for a Structural Fabricator and every project that we do has a set of contract documents(specifications and drawings) that tell me whether to paint the fabricated steel or not. However before the coating goes on any project requiring any type of coating, the welding and fabrication gets inspected first.
I hope this helps. If I missed the intent of your question, ask again.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-11-2010 14:34
Eztomahawk
Welcome to the Forum.
The simple answer is no.
Depending on the service environment the weld might not ever see a coatings application. That is pretty much left up to the Engineer of Record for the project.
Again welcome to the Forum.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-11-2010 14:45
Joey,

First, Welcome to the AWS Welding Forum.  Glad you have you aboard.

Now, you really need to get a new version there guy.  That is not old,  IT'S ANTIQUE!!  LOL!

Not laughing at you, hopefully with you. 

My 2008 has the same language but in section 5.30.2.  Also a reference about corrosion in section (they are actually 'clauses' now) 2.13 but not much application to your question.

Clause 3 is the 'Prequalification of WPS's'.

My personal take is that that issue is mainly an engineer and custome item to be found in the contract documents and would as you say be more of a workmanship issue.  It would have some coverage under AISC and standards issued by the painting organizations.  Haven't taken the chance just yet to look at my AISC.  If others don't pitch in before I get time I'll see what I can find.

Hope this helps.  81?  I'm surprised it is still holding together.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By Eztomahawk Date 03-11-2010 17:31
Thank you all for your comments.

I thought it might an engineer's requirement or in the job spec's, but I wanted to be thorough.

It is funny, but other than being a little discolored, our 1981 edition almost looks new.  I don't know if thats a good thing or not being a building department.  I'm going to have to 2010 preordered so we're up to date.

Thank again,

Joey
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-11-2010 20:39
Just for your info, one of the AWS staff people recently said they were due out in April I believe.  Wouldn't hurt to get that 'Pre-Order' in any time now.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-11-2010 20:49
Eztomahawk
When You get the new one you will be surprised of the differences. I have an 87 that for grins and giggles I sometimes pull out to visit.
But today to be a respectable force in the Structural Steel Arena a Copy of the Current AWS D1.1 is a necessity. I did read where AWS was happy enough with the way it was now written that they were going to start going 5 years between new editions.
But again Welcome to the Forum
Marshall
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-13-2010 23:37
Joey,

Just found something you may be interested in.  Check out IBC Chapter 22- STEEL, Section 2203.2.  If your Contract Documents are calling for compliance to IBC, AISC, and AWS D1.1, or what ever else combination of codes apply to your job then this could apply.

2203.2  Protection.  Painting of structural steel shall comply with the requirements contained in AISC 360.  Individual structural members and assembled panels of cold-formed steel construction, except where fabricated of approved corrosion-resistant steel or of steel having a corrosion-resistant or other approved coating, shall be protected against corrosion with an approved coat of paint, enamel, or other approved protection.

May apply to your situation.  Worth checking out.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Eztomahawk Date 03-15-2010 18:49
Thank you again for your assistance with this issue.

Joey Rodriguez, Sr.
RCID Building & Safety
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Protection of welds