Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASTM A106 PIPE
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 03-11-2010 19:28
Hello , I have A106 pipes WHICH  will BE used as A boiler tubes   , these tubes are 1" size .
Is it NECESSARY  that  the Heat number to be marked on these tubes  ( refer to A 106) ?
thank you all
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-11-2010 19:59
You can have the supplier to mark the heat number on every tube, but it won't be for free, you'll have to bear the cost. I say "every tube" because the tubes won't  necessarily belong to the same heat. If they do belong to the same heat, then it won't be necessary to mark every tube, it'll be sufficient to state the heat number on the invoice. In this case, the invoice will read " xx tons of 1" Sch xx tube according to ASTM A106 GrB, belonging to heat number xx". It'll neither be for free, the seller will charge something to include that information.
Now, this is my opinion, which isn't necessarily the blessed truth. Your boiler must be a low pressure one (150 psig or 10 bars gage, for example). Otherwise, you wouldn't use plain carbon steel tubes. If I were the purchaser, I would require to mark the kind of steel on every tube (A106 GrB in this case) with no need to include the heat number, neither on the tubes nor on the invoice, in order not to increase cost. With the A 106 mark written on the tubes, you can be sure that they will perform as they should.
Now, a question comes to my mind. Where do the tubes come from? In this same Forum I've seen dozens of frequentors complaining that they bought such and such quality of plate, tube, forgings etc. made in China, which turned out to be of a quite a different quality (worse, of course).
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 03-11-2010 22:13
If the pipes are purchased to ASME and the marking is not up to code, i will ask the purchaser for a letter stating i have athourity to remark all items with heat, grade, ect.
usualy the pipe i get has printing all along the length.
I write letters mostly on small lengths.
but if i can trace the lot (heat) back to my PO and MTR and i have confidence in the manufacturer/supplier im good.
The AI has never questioned this.
But if you are unfamiliar with the origin of this pipe get it in writing.
MDK
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 03-12-2010 16:58
ASME SA-530 (Identical to ASTM A-530  99)
SA-530
24 Product marking .
24.1  Each length of pipe shall be marked with manufacturers name/brand , the specification number (year of issue not required ) and grade. Marking Shall begin approx 12 inches from the end of each pipe

*****for pipe less than NPS 2 and Pipe under 3 feet in length , the required information may be marked on a tag securely attached to the bundle or box.that the pipe was shipeed in. ********

MDK
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-12-2010 18:27
So, as I said above, it's not mandatory to state the heat number on the pipe marking. It can be included, of course, but not for free, you'll have to pay for it. At least, that's how things are in this country (Brazil).
Giovanni S. Crisi
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 03-11-2010 22:59 Edited 03-11-2010 23:10
When I asked the  purchaser about that he told me that this size of A106( 1") dosent need heat number to be on pipe  (according to A106 marking)  , these  pipes already have manufacture brand and material type on it
thank you again
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-11-2010 23:10
You need to obtain a copy of the SA106 specifickation if you are working to ASME requirements. That standard will state what is required.

A106 - ASTM Standard
SA106 - ASME Standard - Has a P number assigned (P1) with allowable stress for different temperatures listed in the applicable construction code section, i.e., Section I for power boilers, B31.1 power piping, etc. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 03-11-2010 23:12
there are exceptions for small dia pipe
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-12-2010 00:55
Morning all,
ASTM A 106 requires heat numbers to be marked on the pipes.
However, Clause 24 states that pipes of 1 1/2", 1 1/4", 1" and 3/4" shall be marked in accordance with Specification A530/ A530 M.
Unfortunately I do not have a copy of A530 / A530 M so cannot assist.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By alkhiat (*) Date 03-12-2010 11:19 Edited 03-12-2010 11:23
Then is it anyone know the marking according to A530 ?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 03-12-2010 16:59
YOU REALLY SHOULD HAVE THE CODES AND SPECS THAT YOU ARE WORKING TO.
If you dont have them how do you know you are in compliance?
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 03-13-2010 10:00
Mikeqc1 a very interesting point. How many construction companys, big and small, out there in the real world have all referenced specifications and the editions applicable to their contracts? I would think not many if at all. I think this is a particular problem for European standards which are heavily cross-referenced to others. Does it really matter? Does anybody care? In my opinion no.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-13-2010 16:47
Nantong,
Everybody has experienced not having a standard or specification in house that they are essentially responsible for by contract. However, in most cases these are peripheral, cross referenced, or very specialized type references. In fact, in reality it is essentially impossible for you to have ALL of the references that are "required" (quotes on purpose) simply because the dovetail/proliferation of references can be never ending. And because customers have a tendency to add a bunch of spec references in their specification even when they have no idea what they are all about. But they sure sound good.  This I understand all to well. And here at my company we have an extremely extensive library and still don't have them all.
However, A/SA-106 is NOT such a standard/specification.
And so you ask, does it matter. Well, apparently it does to the OP who it seems is on the verge of gettin a toolin by a supplier and is is real need of some ammunition to fight back. Therefore, I believe Mikes advice is dead on.
Parent - By nantong (**) Date 03-13-2010 11:15
According to my 06 edition of A106 it is required. A530 does not revoke this.
Parent - By nantong (**) Date 03-13-2010 09:49
What edition are you working to Shane!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASTM A106 PIPE