Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Color blind CWI?
- - By mightymoe (**) Date 03-12-2010 03:36
I was reading over the application for CWI and noticed the part the eye doctor has to fill out.
Will being color blind disqualify me from becoming a CWI?   If not then why ask?
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 03-12-2010 04:12
It will not disqualify you. They will put a note on your card saying that you are color blind but it's not a deal breaker. I think they ask because of being able to see dye penetrant but as long as you can distinguish the shades on a DP test, you should be fine.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-12-2010 14:52
Maurice,

My personal take is that they just want to know the fullness of any visual limitations that the inspector may have.  You are not 'Excluded' if you do not have 20/20 eyesight, but it is noted on your card that you need corrective lenses in order to satisfactorily complete your job.  I believe it to be the same with color blindness.

As CWI's do not necessarily also do PT I am not sure if that is a consideration or not.  When doing a quick check of D1.1 Clause 6, QC1, and B 5.1 I see no reference made to the failure of the color excluding one from CWI work.  It is really only mentioned in the application packet with statement that it is to be done with the rest of the eye exam.  At least, that is all I could find.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-12-2010 17:32
It can prevent an inspector from performing an inspection  where color is one of the acceptance criteria. This would effectively prevent a color blind person from inspecting sanitary piping and welds involving refractory metals where color (of the oxide) is one of the critical features that has to be critiqued.
Some industries such as some in the aerospace sector  utilize color codes for identifying various base metals and filler metals. Color blindness would also prevent the individual from performing any inspection or auditing functions where color codes are used for base metal or filler metal identification.
I have a client that uses a color code system for identifying all their base metals. The color chart is posted in several shop locations. Another client purchases all their filler metals with color code identification. They do not use flag tags because they fall off. The wire is too small to imprint, so color coding is an acceptable means of identification. They will not allow anyone that is color blind to work as an inspector.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-12-2010 18:06
Al, I was under the assumption that the color blind inspector could take a number of different methods of approaching this issue.

One being that the company Level III could give specific work instructions and a specialized practical test, and then as long as the inspector could still distinguish enough to use the acceptable and unacceptable criteria and pass the practical test, that they could waive the traditional color blind test of finding the numbers in the mixed up dots of colors.

I certainly see how the concern over some of the situations that you mentioned are warranted though.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-12-2010 19:54
Al,

I don't believe you were correcting me, just adding additional info (Correct me if I'm wrong).  I see the concerns even before your post and understand there are limitations to one's ability if they are colorblind.  It can add difficulties to either his ability to do the job or the employer/customer has added inconvenience in order to compensate for and accomodate his limitation.  And, yes, some companies would exclude a person from employment as a qc inspector with such limitations because of the items you mentioned and probably other situations as well.  That is their option.  They can but any qualifications in they deem neccessary for the job they expect you to perform.

I mention this because you put it as a response to my post.  I hope the OP finds your info valuable as to what he can expect if he follows through with becoming a CWI with those limitations.  My response I believe to be accurate to answer his question as to rather color blindness would 'EXCLUDE' a person from becoming an AWS/CWI.  Did I miss something, or is my interpretation correct? 

Info such as you posted is probably very well included in the conversation to make sure one understands why this is an important part of the eye exam and needful for an employer to know before hiring you for his position.  I'm just trying to make sure I understand both the correct position of AWS on colorblindness and it's part in the exam as well as your reason for posting your comments.

Now that I have completely muddied the waters, please let me know if my interpretation in my first post was in error.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-12-2010 20:55
There are numerous tests designed to evaluate the ablity to discriminate between different colors. It is up to the employer to determine if color blindness is going to affect the candidates ability to perform the tasks required.

The general discussion seemed to be leaning toward the direction that color discrimination had no impact on the CWI's ability to perform welding inspections or to perform tasks assigned to a welding inspector. My comments were intended to point out that there are some inspection tasks that require the ability to differentiate between various colors and color changes. CWIs are employed by companies that weld materials other than carbon steel and where the ability to distinguish between sutle changes in color is key to being able to function as a welding inspector. One example is the welding of titanium. The ability to differentiate between colors will be key in determining whether a CWI can fulfil the job requirements.

QC1 does not require the candidate to be able to discriminate between colors to become a CWI. Whether the CWI can meet the physical requirements of the "job" is the empoyer's responsibility.

As for directing my comments to Brent, no, the comments were not directed toward Brent or anyone in particular. It is the way the Forum reply button works. If I were to direct my comments to one particular individual, it would be evident in my salutation, if you get my drift amigo. ;)

Carry on!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 05-05-2010 19:56
Al,

I am up for renewal for my CWI.  I just went and took the vision accuity test.  The dr checked the box that says I am colorblind although he did cross the word colorblind off and wrote in red/green deficient.  3 years ago i passed this test.  Will I be able to renew or should I go get a second opinion before sending my renwal package in?

After reading your response it seems that they will still recertify me but with a restriction.  I do not anticipate being in the field interpretting colors but boy would I hate to not be able to renew after investing so much time and money in this certification.
Parent - By undercut Date 05-06-2010 14:44
I am also colorblind, I cant see any of the numbers on the test, 'I thought they were messing with my head the first time I took it' Doc circled red -green def. on my app. But it's never been an issue for me, I've Been inspecting for six years and never been questioned about it.

'BTW' Good luck on your test !  (Study long and hard)
Parent - - By Jerry Reyes Date 12-06-2017 16:34
Hi jonny

I have the same problem , tell me please if you had any problem to get your recertiication.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-06-2017 21:19
Color blindness or deficiency will not keep you from getting nor renewing your CWI.  It is up to an employer to determine how your particular situation will effect your work for them. 

If you are up for recert, nothing to worry about.  Submit all your paperwork and enjoy another 3 years.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent

PS, this thread is over 7 years old.  Many of those involved are seldom if ever on the site anymore.
- - By mbrush (*) Date 03-12-2010 16:02
You're fine. I am color blind, too. It's not an issue.
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 03-12-2010 22:01
Thanks for all the replys.
I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so I can do the seminar and take the exam by Fall of 2011.

There are different degrees of color blindness. Some see shades of gray, some like myself have a hard time seeing the numbers in among all those dots. However, I can see all the basic colors.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 03-13-2010 01:05
yeah im cor blind to can only see half the numbers when given the colored dot test with the hidden numbers.
has not been a problem yet being a cwi. I think most people can tell the difference between white and red for a dye test lmao.
x-rays are in black and white. 1 could forsee a problem with color coded material if they used similiar colors. Good luck Joe
- By jbndt (**) Date 03-14-2010 01:00
One of my associates also a CWI, has one heck of a time with RED mag particles on carbon steel plate and pipe that hasn’t been sandblasted but, he does fine with yellow.
I like using it too, it’s a nice change. And, I’m said to be “normal” … (Vision wise only!)

Cheers,
jb
- - By mskagabal Date 12-17-2017 10:40
hmm...
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-17-2017 15:41
Let's be clear about one important fact, the individual qualified and certified as a CWI or SCWI to AWS QC1 is qualified and certified as a visual welding inspector. The CWI credential does not qualify the inspector for any other form of NDE other than visual examination.

Whether the inspector can differentiate between colors can be a factor when color is an attribute to be considered when performing a visual examination. An example would be performing a visual examination of reactive metals such as titanium or zirconium. Another example would be in situations such as aerospace welding where each filler rod is identified by a color code. In the latter example, the visual inspector would not be able to identify whether the proper filler rod is being used by the welder.

It is the employer's responsibility to determine whether color discrimination is essential to performing the visual examination of welds and other related tasks. The fact that the CWI certification card lists whether or not the CWI is color blind is so the employer can make a reasonable assessment of whether an individual has the physical capability to perform certain tasks.

Whether the individual can "see" a magnetic particle indication" is not part of the CWI's tasks or job responsibilities as a visual inspector.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Color blind CWI?