Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / grinding noise
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 03-15-2010 00:46
I know this may sound like a stupid question but I'll ask it anyhow. Does anyone know of a grinding wheel that doesn't make as much noise when using it? I know grinding will always make noise, but our facility has a nieghbor that is busting our stones about the noise when we grind outside. We are in an area that has houses right next door to us. She is complaining every day and I'd like to oblige her if there is a way, even though we have been there for fifteen years and she just moved in last year. We use a 7 inch grinder with the 1/4" hard disc. I know the flap type wheels don't make the ringing sound the hard one's do but that isn't really an option. Any suggestion's are appreciated.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-15-2010 02:10
You may need to erect a sound barier if Your noise violates any local ordinances. How much of the noise is generated by vibrations of the workpiece? can it be clamped to a heavier section to reduce noise?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-15-2010 12:56
Yes I understand that I built my house directly under the landing pattern of the International airport but it never occured to me those planes would be that loud!!
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-15-2010 19:59
You may ask a grinding wheel manufacturer (Norton, for example) or his local distributor, whether they make a "low noise" product. If not, I'll agree with Dave: you'll have to install "noise barrier panels" in order to diminish noise (you'll never get rid of it completely)
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-16-2010 20:58
unless it's an air grinder, the grinder itself is very loud.

Send them a free pair of ear plugs in the mail, or set up a noise barrier of some sort.  If it's during normal business hourse and not 3rd shift, they really shouldn't be complaining if they live next to a business and you're properly licensed for that
- By labib (*) Date 03-15-2010 17:53
You can use chamfering electrode instead of chipping gun, faster, without noise.
- By Dualie (***) Date 04-12-2010 03:51
IF their really being  jerks about it you can see about offering to replace their windows with double pane insulated units.    that helped tremendously with my neighbors yippy little dogs.   Either that or erecting a large ugly sound barrier right up against her fence is your other option.
- - By Bob Garner (***) Date 04-12-2010 14:37
I've been parking one of these in front of my neighbor's house to quiet their barking dogs.
Attachment: BMW1.pdf (21k)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-13-2010 05:19
That's a funny one Bob!!! ;) ;) ;) It's also something that could possibly be marketable for certain situations. ;) Btw, nice .dwg

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / grinding noise