Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Scroll jigs
- - By brian bachman (*) Date 03-16-2010 02:43
Does anyone know where I can buy some scroll jigs for structures like garden arbors and estate gates? I have a scroll bender I'm using now that bends up to 3/16" x 1'' flat bar. I want to buy or make a bender that can bend thicker metal and give me more curl. Say an inch thick.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-16-2010 03:13
Most guys just fabricate a scroll jig on a piece of plate. For the thick parts, You bend them while red [orange] hot. While You are at it, forge out the ends so they look good [ forge the ends before You bend them].
Parent - - By brian bachman (*) Date 03-16-2010 03:19
Thanks! Question-Is it safe to put my welding web site address and or e-mail on this forum?
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 03-16-2010 12:04
I would list it under my user name and contacts or as your comments that show up at the bottom of your posts. You should be ok but no where on the web is completely safe you know. As for your scrolls, they make a little jig called a scroll bender that is fairly inexpensive and pretty easy to work. Try google the name "scroll bender" and see what comes up. I have one the was left in my shop when I moved in 4 years ago by the previous owner. Had no idea what it was until one of my welders who does alot of ornamental work here told me what it was and proceeded to cuss me for making him do all the scroll work for our ornamental jobs by hand when this was sittling up on the shelf the whole time. It does pretty well for about 75% of your scrolls but as for any tool there are always limitaions but for the most part works well.

CM
Parent - - By brian bachman (*) Date 03-21-2010 22:24
Thanks.
Parent - - By brian bachman (*) Date 03-21-2010 22:29
How about heating the thick metal to bend. I got an entrance gate job coming up and I want to be able to bend thick pieces for the frame. What's easiest way? What's cheapest way?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-22-2010 02:51 Edited 03-22-2010 02:56
The easy & cheap way to heat metal is with a forge. The expensive way [if used much] is with an oxy /fuel torch. For a few simple bends, the rosebud is the way to go.

A gas forge can be a simple as a box made of piled up insulating firebricks heated by a home made propane burner, weed burner or propane fueled lead melting torch.

Here is a guy who sells all the stuff You need to build one, including ready made burners: http://www.zoellerforge.com/

I build My burners a little differently, I think they work better. Kaowool is a superior insulation for forge building. There is a lot of usefull information at http://anvilfire.com

A Hosfeld bender is great on cold metal, and even more impressive on hot metal.

Shop built bending jigs for hot bending don't need to be extremely robust, as hot metal bends so much easier.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 03-21-2010 22:29
Jansen sells a scroll bender that will bend heavier material .
Parent - By brian bachman (*) Date 03-21-2010 23:18
Thank you, I'll check it out.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-21-2010 22:57
Hey Brian,
A simple bender is quite easy to make. Here are a couple I made for my shop & mobile unit. The thicker metals would require heating. Maybe you can get some ideas from these.

Denny
Attachment: bender1.jpg (39k)
Attachment: bender4.jpg (37k)
Attachment: bender5.jpg (47k)
Attachment: braces2.jpg (47k)
Attachment: braces5.jpg (45k)
Attachment: littlebender1.jpg (37k)
Attachment: littlebender3.jpg (32k)
Attachment: littlebender5.jpg (42k)
Parent - By brian bachman (*) Date 03-21-2010 23:16
This is just what I was looking for. I know you guys would be able to help me. Thanks! Check out my site. www.graydiewelding.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Scroll jigs