Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What diesel to buy?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 03-16-2010 15:43
I have a 2008 Tacoma prerunner, which is a great truck but doesn't fit for what I want.  I'm going to be over mileage on my lease and I'm going to get rid of it somehow so I can buy a 4x4 diesel.  Not sure what to get and what year.  I am going to be using it for daily driving, off road, hauling light loads like motorcycles or small trailers etc...  I want a diesel due to the mileage is good and they run for a really long time.  Looking to spend at least 20K and have at least 100K miles.

I know they all have their issues like Ford's 6.0 usually break a lot, Cummins auto tranny is usually bad, Duramax has a great allison tranny but the 2006 is the better of the duramax's.  I know everyone has there own opinion I just was wondering what you guys like and have a lot of problems with. I have searched a lot and I think for me I would choose a 2003+cummins with quad cab but really doesn't matter.

Thanks for any opinions.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-16-2010 20:39 Edited 03-16-2010 20:42
I've got an 02' Cummins, came in a Dodge wrapper. Standard shift so no worries about auto transmissions, wouldn't own an auto behind a diesel, just to expensive for my taste. As you said, everyone has their own opinion and I could sit here and tell you how awesome the Cummins sounds with dual straight pipes, how the Cummins is a real diesel by comparing piston rods and seeing how the Ford and Chevy rods are like play toys compared to the beef the Cummins has. I could say how funny it is to drive by the Ford boys and Chevy guys at the fuel pump cause my truck, at 9500lbs still gets over 17mpg putting around town and better going down the highway. Drove an f550 for two years(someone else's) and that thing was getting 7-9mpg!!!! No wonder the tank was so huge. I could say how I can have my valve cover off in about 5-10 minutes.....ask the Ford/Chevy guys how long it takes them. I can have my turbo off in an hour if need be, Ford/Chevy. My cylinder head can be pulled.......without having to remove my cab. I can see my inner fenders.....and down to the ground. Got 146k on mine now, have not done an alignment, front tires are fine. That f550 above, new front skins at 25k and when I was laid off from the company it had 55k on it, know what? Needed front tires. Guess I've been pretty hard on Fords but if there was no Dodge/Cummins combo, I'd be in a Ford, they have some HEAVY DUTY trucks that is a fact. As far as Chevy goes, I wouldn't give cup of warm pee-pee for one of those, but that's just me.

But, as I said, could talk all day about how I love my Cummins but you'll have to do the research and decide for yourself. Get on a couple of these diesel forums, Dodge, Ford and Chevy and see what's going on as far as problems and things like that. A Ford that would be great for putting around, 99-2002(?) the last of the 7.3L Powerstrokes. One of the best darn diesels ever put in a pickup....next to a Cummins of course(lol). I see you have heard about the 6 Oh-No!! Good, they make great boat anchors, flower pots.......new Cummins blocks.

The newer transmissions are supposed to be better, think the newest is the 68re? 6 speed? I'm not real sure. A buddy of mine has an 05' with auto and spend around $3-4k on the tranny, runnin' a bit over 500hp though. If your gonna add toys and gadgets to boost power remember this, "you play, you pay". Hope my mindless ramblings have helped.......maybe a little...

See, I can't give you an honest unbiased opinion. Here's some links,

www.cumminsforum.com
www.dieseltruckresource.com(cummins)

Ford
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/

don't have nothing on Chevy......
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 03-16-2010 21:58
I think the Cummins is the best choice but they are harder to come by and there are a lot more Powerstroke and Duramax for sale. 

Thanks for your input.

Anyone else?
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 03-17-2010 01:42
You didnt say what years you were looking at maybe buying.  Auto arent that bad if you will to put a little money into them.  If you can go with 2000 to 2002 dodge with an auto.  You should be able to pick up one under 13K it will have over 100k on it.  But that might leave you with some money that you could put into the tranny and make it pretty tuff.  Also if you look at 2002 and older dodges you will also have to deal with the terrible front ends(tie rods, ball joints, and track bar) this is mostly due to the weight and bad choices in parts on dodges part.
- By supermoto (***) Date 03-17-2010 01:47
If it were a dodge than 03+, Ford 99-02, Chevy 06+
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What diesel to buy?