Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification
- By JFALK (*) Date 06-23-2000 15:15
In response to the prior posts relating to welder certification I shall attempt to shed a little light on a topic that is often confusing. I am an AWS CWI and am currently the director of an AWS Accredited Test Facility. In order of appearance on the previous post:
1. The only instance in which qualification paperwork is sent to AWS is when a welder has been qualified through an accredited test facility. In this case the test facility processes the proper qualification documents.
2. Welder qualification may be transferrable when the card holder has documentation from AWS noting his or her certifications. However, if working (welding) at any time on any project the engineer of record has the right to have any welder retested. It is theoretically possible for a welder to have passed a qualification test and never have to be retested as long as he or she continues to weld with the tested process at least every six months. (tested process = same process, same essential varibles; see AWS D1.1).
3. For welder qualification see your local CWI. If you cannot find one contact AWS. They can assist if finding one in your area.
4. Learn how to pass welder qualification tests (performance based), based on the welding you anticipate doing and be prepared to be tested in many different forms, conditions, etc.
5. Summary: THERE ARE AS MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS AND TALES ABOUT WELDER TESTING AND QUALIFICATIONS AS THERE WELDERS. SOME ARE CORRECT SOME ARE NOT. THERE IS NO WAY TO FULLY ADDRESS THIS TOPIC ON A FORUM. I HOPE I HAVE MADE THINGS BETTER. MY EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT ME MANY LESSONS AND I'M SURE THAT WILL CONTINUE. IF I MAY BE OF ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME AT jfalk@twinmounds.com
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification