Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln 300D
- - By bigrod (**) Date 03-20-2010 14:51
I have an 08 300D and here lately it has been acting very weird...it seems like every time the weather is going to change, it starts to run very hot.  Just yesterday I had to turn my machine down a gear just to put a bead in.  Has anybody else had this problem?  suggestions?              

thanks,
                                 Jeremy
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-20-2010 21:16
Jack it up and drive a Vantage under it. Works like a charm !    Sorry, I couldn't resist
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 03-21-2010 01:42
How many hours does it have on it? Mine did that some when it was new. I have heard that until you have 1000 hours or so it kind of has a mind of its own.
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 03-21-2010 03:23
it has like 830 hours.  ya I actually had to kick it down a gear.  it would take forever to get the pipe beaded.  lol it always involves a lot of cursing and things being thrown.
- - By ESC300 (**) Date 03-20-2010 19:41
I have had that happen a few times,thing has mind of its own.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 03-21-2010 01:54
Haha I had a new one a few years ago that would do that....everytime it was gonna rain it would be like you kicked it up a gear but once I got bout 1200hrs it quit.....
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 03-21-2010 14:55
I bought mine new in 2007, ran it for 2 years at factory settings... way too hot... Last year I was on a job with a fella who just happened to have an RPM Guage and we stuck it on there and was surprised to see that my machine was running at 2100 RPM. Book says 1800 RPM, so we adjusted her down and now she'll lay a Bead, smoke a Hot Pass, and stack a Cap like nobodys business. Never experienced any "weather" phenomenon.
Parent - By 4JWelding (**) Date 03-22-2010 01:06
I also have an 07 300D (with the Kubota) that I bought new that was set high from the factory.  I have a few friends that have 300D's as well and all of them have been set way higher from the factory than the stated RPM and OCV.  My machine was running around 113 on the ocv's and should be 98 max according to the specs.  It was also putting out about 135 on the AC plug instead of 120.  I turned her down to where its suppost to be and it runs alot better.  Might be worth having it checked you might be suprised what it's really putting out.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-22-2010 02:21
Poor man's tachometer: On a machine that is supposed to put out 60Hz aux power, an old fashoned clock with a sweep second hand works just as well. At 2100 RPM it would LOOK fast. When You Compare to a watch, You know for sure. These old clocks rely on the 60 Hz to keep time. The power company holds really tight tolerances on the frequency.

I have an old Hobart Power/Weld that welds at 2200 RPM but puts out 60Hz at 1800. However in an attempt to be able to use the aux power while at welding speed, the aux. voltage is a compromise between the different RPMs. To maintain enough voltage under load to properly run heavier loads, like the well water pump I have to increase the RPMs to 2100, which gives 70 Hz. Colcks just look funny when they run a bit fast.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln 300D