Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Big red 500 ?
- - By KFab (**) Date 03-22-2010 15:45
hay yall.

Has anyone use the new big red 500, can u give me your thoughts on this new machine, i know its advantages being that it has no pc board,  Hows it run.. ect ?
Iv used a sa 400 and they suck for laying down small rod on pipe but that could been because they were gouged with.. ? so give me ur opinions thanks.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-23-2010 02:43
Here was another thread about it: http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=24446
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 03-23-2010 16:16 Edited 03-23-2010 16:19
Wondered how they do too but never seen anyone running them yet.  Look on Lincoln site products chart under engine driven welders and can do comparisons clicking on compare box to see if it does everything you want and download a pdf with more info.  It just doesn't have all the features of the Vantage models and doesn't show to do MIG.  Someone told me those were made for the drilling action going on in Mexico and Brazil now ? 

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-24-2010 13:44
I've seen that one but have not had a chance to weld with it and it has crossed my mind as well. For me, I've done alot of thinking and when I look and see the ac output, enough to run a grinder or something like that I've determined that for me that's not enough in what I do. If all ya run is a grinder these machines sound great. I run mig machines, hopefully a dynasty one day, all sorts of power tools so for my application I've finally determined these low wattage welders are not for me.(there goes my 51' short hood) I too was caught by the price of the Big Red and thought hmm?? But again, it came down to ac output for me.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-24-2010 14:34
My Vantage 500 Compact has 24k of AC power AND it will weld at 500 amps at the same time
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Big red 500 ?