Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / TIG without purging using TGX filler wire in SS
- - By kuppubhuvi Date 03-26-2010 11:56
Plz tell about the pro's in cons of using TGX Filler wire (R308L T-1, SFA 5.22) in 8 NB & 15 NB sch 40 SA 312 TP 304L pipes which is going to carry process fluid in it.

As the OD of these pipes are very less, i will not have access from root. If i go for above mentioned flux cored TIG wire, how to ensure proper removal of slag. Will the slag pose any hindarance if i remove the same by meand of hammering from face side.

Pros plz reply to me soon.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 03-26-2010 13:16
How about the discolorration of the HAZ and the area just besides the HAZ?

Remove slag by hammering 304L SS....???

Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 03-26-2010 13:36
Well, the welders will require separate qualification when changing from solid wire to flux-cored, the flux "may" have high halogen content which can cause stress corrosion cracking in austenitic stainless steels, and ,as you noted, the slag on the inside may be a concern for plugging instrumentation or affect purity of the process fluid.  A test sample could be welded and the slag analyzed for halogen content to determine if it is acceptable to the client.  Similar concerns with Solar Flux on the halogen content.  Making a sound GTAW root with flux-core is different enough that some welder training will be required to get used to it.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-26-2010 13:41
Here is a link to something you might find informative about the process in general terms

http://mydocs.epri.com/docs/public/000000000001009718.pdf
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 04-09-2010 02:01
I have welded alot of this type of wire. alot better root than solar flux in my opinion. Have the welders grind out all the slag like a 6010 root and clean off the discoloration and oxidation of the HAZ with a flapper wheel and it welds just fine. I have made these welds in power boilers where purging was a problem and ethonal plants. I did take a seperate test before i was allowed to use this wire.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 04-09-2010 17:46
Come on man.....Purging is only a probelm if you make it a problem.

Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / TIG without purging using TGX filler wire in SS