Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metallurgy in Chromium carbide hardfacing
- - By sanjayb (*) Date 03-27-2010 07:41
In the hardfacing welding rods of Chromium carbide type ( for example 5.5%C & 32% Chrome) will all the Chromium form carbide?
Is there a limit or saturation percentage of carbides being formed with C and Cr.
Please help with answers

thanks
Sanjay
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-27-2010 15:17
I don't know about rods (if you mean SMAW electrodes-most of the rods out there that I know of as 'hardfacing' are simply high tensile/yield low alloy rods) but most of the hardfacing self shielded flux cores out there are either Fe carbide or chromium carbide alloys.
The 'saturation' level would depend upon the hardness of the material in question.
With hardfacing though, it isn't so much saturation as it is size and morphology of the carbides involved.
Also 'cross checking' (cracking) is used as measure of weld procedure viability as well.
If you are goin to qualify hardfacing procedure you need to be cognizant of dilution, cross checking per inch, hardness, bonding, photomicrography of the ccarbide mistrstructure, and though the ASTM spec number eludes my memory, there is a specific abrasion test to be performed.
There is also an 'open arc' process available wherein a standard carbon steel wire is welded in an open arc with additions of carbide powder.
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 03-27-2010 23:19
There are two abrasion tests commonly performed - the ASTM G65 dry sand/rubber wheel test and the ASTM G132 pin on disk test.

HTH
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metallurgy in Chromium carbide hardfacing