Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Stainless steel certification
- - By nathan oberg Date 03-30-2010 04:53
Im about to certify in 1-G stainless steel and was wondering about how hot i should run it. The metal will be about 1-4" to 3-8" thick and Ill be using a 1-8" electrode. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-30-2010 15:37
Since its a certification test.. You ought to be provided with a welding procedure specification (WPS).

Read that!

It will give you a current range for the diameter of electrode called out.

Since your welding in the flat position  (1G)  You might consider selecting someplace in the upper middle portion of the range on the WPS..

Often times a little scrap is provided for the welder to get a feel for the equipment if they are not using their own rig.  This would be the time to run a few passes at various parts of the range provided in the WPS and to look at how the toes of the welds tie in and how the slag is removed.

If you are doing a groove weld in the flat position with a backing strip... You can generally afford to add a bit more current than in other positions.. This helps penetration and tie-ins in multi-pass welds..

Having a look at the manufacturers recommendations before you come in is also excellent advice... Just in case they are Bush leauge and don't give you a WPS.
- - By david bean (**) Date 03-30-2010 14:42
Consult the manufactor recommendations for the typical operating charactaristics, this will give you the proper amps/Volts recomended for the specific electrode.

regards
Wiskar Stemings
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 03-30-2010 16:20
Even if you did not have a WPS to get this info it would be difficult to answer your question without knowing what process you are using. From your post it would lead me to believe you are using SMAW
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-30-2010 17:07
Good point

I was assuming that the "1/8" electrode ment SMAW... But it could be GTAW I suppose..   Say more!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Stainless steel certification